Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lambo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
FL
Whenever the iPhone 3G unlock becomes official on New Year's Eve, will the original iPhone not be worth a lot anymore, money-wise?

Just wondering because I have an extra iPhone chillin' and don't want to lose any money, but don't really feel like selling it at the moment.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your willing to sell then the sooner the better, the value will be in decline for years and won't be this high again until it's a collectors item. It's your call. If you don't want to sell, then don't. It likely won't change the value of the first gen much because those who buy a 3G still have to sign a 2yr contract and first gen's for sale don't require a contract - I wouldn't worry about a change.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
The first gen iPhone didn't require a contract? Why would you buy brand new one back then (back when they were weren't unlockable)? You'd just have an iPhone with a screen saying to plug it into iTunes. Pointless.

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
If anything the price if the iPhone 3G will go up now that it's going to be unlocked.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The first gen iPhone didn't require a contract? Why would you buy brand new one back then (back when they were weren't unlockable)? You'd just have an iPhone with a screen saying to plug it into iTunes. Pointless.

Jesus Christ, people. READ.

First gens for sale don't require a contract. In other words, those of us with the first gens selling on eBay and wherever aren't exactly AT&T. If I bought a 3G today, I would have to sign a new contract again, but I could still get the discount. The person buying my phone second hand wouldn't have to.

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
I've been thinking along the same lines, not because I want to sell but because I want to buy. I'd be surprised if we didn't see a drop in the value of the 2G, having said that I wonder how many 3G owners there are out there that don't have the 2.11.07 baseband [and so will be unable to unlock with yellowsn0w on NYE], and will they keep the price of the 2G high?

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
First gen phone will become obsolete sooner or later. Eventually we will start seeing apps that require 3G or later hardware.

I, too think it is safe to assume that 3G will increase value with unlock around the corner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.