Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:27 AM   #1
karleaglemac
macrumors regular

My iPhone will not rotate into landscape!

Whenever I am on the web or looking at pictures and turn my phone it doesn't rotate to landscape. I've tried a reset and restart and still no change. Any ideas or suggestions before I make the trip to the Apple Store?

Please help if you can, and thanks in advance!
karleaglemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 02:26 AM   #2
Mr. Giver '94
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Giver '94
Try and reset it one more time. Make sure you are holding the phone at an angle where it can recognize the tilt/rotation. I doubt reseting it again will fix anything because it sounds like a faulty accelerometer. Sadly a trip to the Apple store for a replacement is the only way to fix it.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 04:20 AM   #3
scootaru
macrumors 6502

Did this problem start after doing something software related, ie. installing a new app, upgrading firmware, syncing? I'm assuming you are using the latest firmware. You could also try a restore, but I'd be afraid of it fixing the problem only long enough for the warranty to expire.
scootaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 04:39 AM   #4
gjw4u
macrumors 6502

Since when have you been experiencing this problem?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:11 AM   #5
karleaglemac
macrumors regular

My wife and I just got our iPhones on the 24th. As far as I remember it has been like this straight out of the box. I was wondering if there was a setting that I need to adjust or something. It seems like a faulty accelerometer.
Is this a common problem?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:22 AM   #6
svndmvn

no,it is not a common problem.
Is your wife's doing it as well? Try the calculator App and give it a second. Hold it perpendicularly while switching.
svndmvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:01 AM   #7
gjw4u
macrumors 6502

Hi karleaglemac
If problem from the start, I would have the phone exchanged under warranty ASAP.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 01:17 PM   #8
karleaglemac
macrumors regular

Well I'm afraid there must be something wrong with the accelerometer. Good thinking on the calculator test. It still stayed portrait when I turned it. I'm just baffled because I have never heard of this specific problem before.
If I just bought this iPhone four days ago I shouldn't have a problem exchanging it or getting it fixed when I go to the Apple Store tomorrow, should I?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting