Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Westerly RI
My 14 year old got a new (white) macbook for Christmas. He has been currently playing World of Warcraft on my iMac but he has lost the installation CD. Is there anyway to transfer the program to his new macbook so he can play it?

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Connecting the two computers via firewire and booting one up in Target Disk mode would be your fastest route. However, assuming they're both on the same network (wireless or wired), you could also transfer them that way but that may take quite some time depending on your set up. Or you could always download the game from Worldofwarcraft.com

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
And just a note if you do end up transferring via the network don't have to copy the screenshots, movies, or updates folders (which can be quite large).

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
go to the account management website and download the client from there, free of charge
or LAN transfer it

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
As Oz said. You can go to http://www.worldofwarcraft.com and login to your account (top left in the account section) and if you scroll down there's a Download link. It will download the current version (minus maybe a patch or two which it will just get after install) for you.

That's what I did. I have WoW on my PC (my gaming system), and decided to put it on my new MBP to see how it performed (amazing BTW) and the installer took care of everything. Pretty fast too... was 900+ KBps download the entire time.

Though, regardless, I'd recommend to save your "addons" folder if you've added anything at all to the installation (cartographer, quest helper, Auctioneer, etc) and put it back in the folder after your installation. The default addons folder is World of Warcraft/Interface/Addons.

D.

Fnord

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2005
WTF Folder

The WTF folder inside the World of Warcraft folder (I believe it stands for Warcraft Text Files) is where all of your addons store any information they need to. You probably want to move that over to the new computer (or dig down into it a couple levels and move the SavedVariables folders, there is a global one, plus one for each character).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.