Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slappy sam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Basically, I'm looking for an app that will allow me to track my balances, and compare my spending to an allotted (monthly) budget that I have set and categorized. I downloaded checkbook and although it has categories for entering what I spent the money on (food, rent, etc.) it doesn't have any way for me to view how much I have been spending on these categories, graphically or otherwise. iXpenseIt does do this, and seems to do it well (I have the lite version atm) however it doesn't let me have multiple accounts and track the balances in each. This is essential so that I know how much money is in my checking, savings, etc. so I don't overdraft. I also need to be able to enter things on a credit card. Checkbook can do this but it can't track budgets or categorize well. Is there any way for me to be able to do the multiple accounts thing in iXpenseIt or should I be looking for another app, and which one will allow me to do both of these functions?

Also, I need to be able to reconcile my transactions with my statement. I know checkbook does this and I believe iXpenseIt does as well.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Basically, I'm looking for an app that will allow me to track my balances, and compare my spending to an allotted (monthly) budget that I have set and categorized. I downloaded checkbook and although it has categories for entering what I spent the money on (food, rent, etc.) it doesn't have any way for me to view how much I have been spending on these categories, graphically or otherwise. iXpenseIt does do this, and seems to do it well (I have the lite version atm) however it doesn't let me have multiple accounts and track the balances in each. This is essential so that I know how much money is in my checking, savings, etc. so I don't overdraft. I also need to be able to enter things on a credit card. Checkbook can do this but it can't track budgets or categorize well. Is there any way for me to be able to do the multiple accounts thing in iXpenseIt or should I be looking for another app, and which one will allow me to do both of these functions?

Also, I need to be able to reconcile my transactions with my statement. I know checkbook does this and I believe iXpenseIt does as well.

I don't know the exact answers to your questions, but I have iXspenseIt and love it. I don't know about tracking multiple accounts, but you can set budgets for business and personal use. Just download the lite version and see if you like it.

slappy sam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I've downloaded the lite version, but you can't track multiple accounts (unless I'm missing something) which I need to do :(

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I've downloaded the lite version, but you can't track multiple accounts (unless I'm missing something) which I need to do :(

So, by multiple accounts, you mean multiple checking/bank accounts? If so, then iXpenseIt is not what you want.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I know SplashMoney does all that, it's a bit expensive, and it doesn't sync reliably with the desktop SplashMoney (doesn't allow emailing reports either).

I don't use the desktop, and I take screenshots of the reports and email the screenshots.

SplashMoney has excellent graphs and reports. If you just want to use a finance program on the iPhone/iTouch alone (no syncing with any desktop finance program), then SplashMoney does the job.

I forgot, the other disadvantage of SplashMoney is you've got to pare down the data to just two or three months to keep the program running smoothly
(the reason I email screenshots of reports before purging a months data from SplashMoney).

JohnH59

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2008
I know SplashMoney does all that, it's a bit expensive, and it doesn't sync reliably with the desktop SplashMoney (doesn't allow emailing reports either).

I don't use the desktop, and I take screenshots of the reports and email the screenshots.

SplashMoney has excellent graphs and reports. If you just want to use a finance program on the iPhone/iTouch alone (no syncing with any desktop finance program), then SplashMoney does the job.

I forgot, the other disadvantage of SplashMoney is you've got to pare down the data to just two or three months to keep the program running smoothly
(the reason I email screenshots of reports before purging a months data from SplashMoney).

I've been using SplashMoney on my iPhone and desktop for about a month. So far, it has never failed to sync with the desktop app via WiFi. I had to switch from Pocket Quicken when I switched to the iPhone and have been very pleased with SplashMoney. I will agree that if you have too much data the reporting is sluggish. I have around two years on my iPhone. I can run the reports and graphs, but there are times when it hangs or crashes. I try to remember to change the report to just what I'm really interested in and all is fine.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I've never used SplashMoney desktop, but I gathered from the SplashData forums that inaccurracies that came about from sending the data via Wi-Fi is the number one issue a lot of iPhone SplashMoney users have with SplashMoney.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Ledger

I just have to throw in a recommendation for Ledger. It takes a different approach than most finance apps, but as soon as I tried it, my search for the right finance app ended. It's very sophisticated, yet simple to use. Check it out at ledgerapp.com.

nm1213

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
Check out Pocket Money. I've tried iXpenseIt, splash money, budget, spend, etc... and as a general replacement for MS Money, this product wins hands down.

iXpenseIT:

-- Does not let you keep track of income properly.
-- Does not have auto complete so that you can just enter the first couple of letters of a payee and it fills the rest in based on previous history.

Splash Money:

-- absolute garbage.
-- Slow
-- Buggy
-- Does not sync properly
-- not well made

Spend/Budget

-- limited... not a full MS Money replacement.

Pocket Money:

-- Excellent performance. 2 years of data with 12 different accounts, and it works perfectly. Splash Money just chokes.
-- Auto complete for payees... Excellent feature, and well implemented!
-- Transfers, Splits, and Recurring entries are possible. (you will need 1.4)
-- Budgeting is coming
-- Backup/restore/exports work great

And best of all... the developer is very responsive, friendly, and truly cares about the product. He does not release buggy stuff... rather, prefering to release new features one by one after a proper beta testing cycle.

N.

HardyMacia

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2007
Give PocketMoney a try. I've released PocketMoney Lite so you can try out most of the features for free. The LITE version allows tracking of two accounts and creation of two recurring transactions.

PocketMoney LITE

I have over 8000 transactions in 40+ accounts in PocketMoney so keeping years worth of data in PocketMoney won't be an issue.

Full budgeting support will be coming in the next major release, but you can run category reports to get a similar functionality now.

- Hardy

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I've pretty much tried them all except for Bankarama. Since my income comes from various places, and I like to see where my money is going on graphs, my pick is still SplashMoney. PocketMoney and Checkbook are also both pretty good, Accountr isn't bad.

SplashMoney hasn't been buggy at all recently (since an update or two ago). It used to crash fairly easily a few months ago. The graphs and reports are both indispensible, and the income pie graph is a definite plus (my income fluctuates and comes from various sources).

My single complaint is that it isn't as easy as a couple other apps to enter transactions on the fly.

Checkbook looks promising with it's upcoming updates, and PocketMoney would be better with a built-in graph generator, and graphs that easily show Income or expense (unchecking all expenses to see my Income pie graph is too time consuming).

I'm hoping SplashMoney gets more stable and can run smoothly with thousands of transactions stored, or PocketMoney or Checkbook get some feature updates.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Bought PocketMoney last night.

Immediately like what I see: Good 'tool tips' for new users. Intuitive labels and controls. Password protected.

brian doherty

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Mint.com app is incredible.

+1

I keep track of 2 credit cards, 4 bank accounts and my student loan in my hand. Updates by itself too. Much less sketchy than pageonce.

Also, when you log into their website it'll analyze your account activity and categorize it automatically, than break everything down into a nice pie chart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.