Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 28, 2008, 05:16 PM   #1
sjohnson4382
macrumors member

changing ipod format from windows to mac???

I have an 80gb ipod and have always used it with windows. Well i just got a mac for christmas and have transferred all my music to my mac now. The only problem I think I have so far is that in the update section of itunes after my ipod is connected, it says that only Macintosh-formatted ipods can be updated. how can i fix this so I can continue to update my ipod?
sjohnson4382 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Tallest Skil
Banned

Restore to a Mac-version firmware.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:16 AM   #3
little nin
macrumors newbie

i'm sure that when you format it for mac from windows it keeps all the music on it?

if not then all the music is now on your mac right?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:43 AM   #4
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by little nin View Post
i'm sure that when you format it for mac from windows it keeps all the music on it?

if not then all the music is now on your mac right?
No. All music will be erased from the iPod. You have to make sure you have all the music on your computer which the OP does, before you format the iPod, if not, all will be lost.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:25 PM   #5
HiFiGuy528
macrumors 68000

"restore" will erase everything. Don't do it unless you have everything backed-up.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 02:09 PM   #6
ZeroSpyGadget
macrumors newbie

Much Like the said earlier restore it, I faced the same problem with my ipods when i got my mac but i restored them and now they work fine.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:17 PM   #7
pkagel
macrumors regular

Along these same lines, my PC was crashing hard and I copied all my iTunes music and apps to an external hard drive. I plan on buying a Mac here in January. Will the Apple store help me put all my music on the new Mac or will I have to figure this out for myself?

Also, my girlfriend's computer crashed and she lost all her music. Is their any way to recover the music she bought on iTunes?
pkagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:39 PM   #8
hydrokayak
macrumors member

I recently made the move from PC to Mac about a year ago. I ran into the same problem -- I had a Windows formatted iPod, and couldn't update the firmware on the device like iTunes wanted me to. I just reformatted the iPod, and it automatically changed the format to Macintosh.

Formatting the iPod WILL make you lose any data on the iPod (music, movies, podcasts, pictures and the like), so make sure everything you want is backed up somewhere (e.g. your mac's iTunes program).
hydrokayak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod