Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 29, 2008, 03:40 AM   #1
malcg
macrumors newbie

Convert Video to IPOD - gives white screen

Hi
Been searching the forums but although the problem is noted not solution has been posted that I can find, can anyone help.

I am using iTunes 8.0.2 (20) on a G5 iMAC with OS X 10.5.6. I have a video that plays fine in iTunes and on AppleTV.

KIND: MPEG-4 video file (mp4), Profile: Low Complexity, Channels: Multi, Bit Rate: 223 kbps, Video Dimensions: 720x304, Video Codec: H.264.

When I convert using Advanced->Create iPOD or iPHONE Version it appears to convert the file fine giving the same as above but Channels: Stereo, Video Dimensions: 640x352, Video Codec: H.264

Only on problem .... I get perfect stereo sound but the video just shows a white screen on bith iTunes and the iPOD I try to play them on.

I have also tried with QuicktimePro and the Windows version of iTunes with the same effect .... missing something here ... is it a codec issue?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards
Malcolm
malcg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:12 PM   #2
dolphin842
macrumors 65816

Try converting the movie with HandBrake instead. There's a preset for iPod video, as well a little checkbox to ensure iPod 5G support if you have the first video-enabled iPod.
dolphin842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:05 PM   #3
KrazyKuul
macrumors regular

yeah, use any other file converter.

i had a great file converter before, but i am so mad at myself for forgetting what it was called.

it had options for stuff like iTunes video, iPod/ iPhone video, and tons of strange formats too.

i recommend going to download.com and searching for a file converter. all of their downloads are virus, malware, spam, etc.. free.
KrazyKuul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:25 PM   #4
adamfishercox
macrumors 6502

I use iSquint for this, but really... it's a prominent menu item in iTunes, it shouldn't fail so miserably at doing what it says it should. It would be much easier to just have a version made within iTunes than having to find the movie file in the Finder, toss it into iSquint, export to the desktop, drag into iTunes, then delete the desktop file.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod