Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oursfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
I am in the market for an external HDD. I do not want to spend a whole lot of money on one if I can help it. I know I want at least a 1TB drive. My main purpose for this HDD will be to store my movie collection which I play through iTunes and my Apple TV. I found this drive online at PC mall for $89 but am not sure if it is any good. Can someone please give me some advice and break down what exactly this stuff means?
Here are the specs:
Access Time : 8.5ms
Capacity : 1 TB
Power Supply : 110/220 V (Universal Power Supply)
Form Factor : External Unit
Host Interface : USB 2.0, eSATA 300
Connectors : 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x eSATA 300
Type : External Hard Disk
External Hard Disk
Sustained Data Transfer (Maximum) : 68 MB/S
Bus Transfer Rate (Maximum) : 60 MB/S (USB 2.0), 300MB/S (eSATA 300)
Package Contents: : G-Force GreenDrive Hard Drive, USB 2.0 Cable, Power Cord, User Manual
OS Support : Mac OS X 10.2 or greater, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista
Product Weight : 2.4 lbs
Product Dimensions : 8" x 1.25" x 4.75"
Box Weight : 5 lbs
Box Dimensions : 9" x 10 3/4" x 3 3/8"
Warranty Information : Warranty Terms: Two years limited

The Bus Transfer Rate is what confuses me. It says 60 MB/S (USB 2.0). That does not seem all that fast does it? Again, I am not a computer wiz, so I do not really know what I am looking at. Can someone please help? Here is a link to the manufacturer's site with a description of the drive and the specs again. http://store.fantomdrives.com/general/prodDisplay-CatID-149-ProdID-611.htm

Remiss63

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
You should compare the specs for the drive you selected to others that are commonly used with Macs. For example, check out this drive from OWC (MacSales.com).

With a little research using Google, you should be able to find explanations in layman's terms of the meaning of all of these specs and which ones will apply most in your particular application. Also, keep in mind future expandability. Somehow, I suspect your 1TB in a year or two will seem like a mere trifle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.