Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
There's only ever been 1 MobileChat update on the AppStore. What about all the cool stuff they promised us? Did they just steal our money and then go out of business? What was the deal with that? I used to have faith in MobileChat, but I don't think they know how to please people very well.

Anyone have thoughts or information on what happened to them?

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
i'm curious as well.

i've been pretty vocal from the get go as to what a bunch of tools and hacks the mobilecrap developers were and how they've been misleading their users from the get go with their blog (which they have taken down a while back) all the while bad mouthing and blaming everyone else for all of their problems. back then, it seemed that they spent more time updating their blog with empty promises and blaming the whole world for their problems then they spent on actually fixing their servers and their app. however i'm sure glad the users have spoken and given that pos app 1.5 stars.

Seriously now......the app was released in early August and in the 5 months, only 1 update since the initial release? REALLY? and the most recent reviews being a few days back still show a string of 1 star reviews.

with that said, i have yet to ask for my refund for the program. i just won't spend the time and hassle to go through the process. besides, who knows, someone might buy them out and do something wonderful with the app. one can always dream........

Chase817

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
I can't believe that the would make flat out lies though. I was checking their blog every day, waiting for MobileChat to come out, then I was severely dissapointed.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
They're under no obligation to update the app so I hardly see how they "stole" your money.

You knew what you were buying when you bought the app.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
They're under no obligation to update the app so I hardly see how they "stole" your money.

you kidding me? people purchase an app under the expectation that it will work. i purchased the app within the first hour it appeared in the app store, so exactly how was i to know that it would take them over 2 months for them to get the app to even work occassionally? all developers are obligated to update a non working app so that it eventually works. based on the latest reviews, the app is still pretty much hit or miss. I would say, their "obligation" has yet to be fulfilled, even if it requires additional updates.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Maybe they were waiting on Apple and the background process update, and that never happened either. So Apple stole my money too!

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska

whatever. I knew I was buying an IM program that was advertised as a WORKING IM client.

It didn't work. It works on occasion nowadays, but they have dropped Yahoo IM support, which was advertised as working when I bought it. It never worked, which is why its no longer listed as a feature.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago

But they ARE obligated to make their software work as advertised, and it doesn't. What they said it would do, and how it actually operates are totally different. People did NOT know what they were buying, and without updates so it works as promised, I'd also say they stole our money.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Much like the developers of UrbanTycoon, who originally said 'updates will be coming weekly,' and then didn't update once. Now their site isn't even in operation.

I've heard of their so called "updates" as well and the 3D thing, geez what's going on with these devs. Shame.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The app may be junk, but so might be your expectations.

Read the Terms of Sale at the bottom of the iTunes Store, and then the product's EULA.

That's what you agreed to when you hit the purchase button.

You may be surprised at how little is promised. Caveat emptor .

I usually don't purchase apps until after I've read several good reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.