Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Tom Foolery
macrumors regular

Apple Lossless in iTunes, AAC on iPod

I have a really nice sound system, and before the week is up i will have a 500GB drive installed on my MBP. As I am somewhat of an audiophile i want to get the best sound quality. since space is no longer and issue I want to rerip all my cd's into apple lossless codec.

Unfortunatly my 16GB iPod touch doesn't have the luxury of space that my MBP does. is it possible to use apple lossless in iTunes and regular AAC on my iPod with the same files. Maybe there is a workaround that could encode into AAC upon transfer to the iPod
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

The solution to your problems.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Mystic Eddy
macrumors regular

The iPod touch has problems with lossless files anyway. I put some on my 32GB 2G and the tracks kept stuttering, I believe it cannot process the information quick enough, with the track jumping every 5-10 secs.
Mystic Eddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:40 PM   #4
Tom Foolery
macrumors regular

do those scripts automate everything or do i have to manually manage songs
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:41 PM   #5
Much Ado
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Eddy View Post
The iPod touch has problems with lossless files anyway. I put some on my 32GB 2G and the tracks kept stuttering, I believe it cannot process the information quick enough, with the track jumping every 5-10 secs.
Mine is fine with lossless...
Much Ado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Foolery View Post
do those scripts automate everything or do i have to manually manage songs
They automate everything. I suggest you give them a try on a few songs... it's not going to delete or break anything. There aren't really that many practical alternatives.

I use a couple of Doug's scripts for other things. Had a lossless library for a while (before this script existed) but it became too large to manage so I downsampled everything to 320AAC which still sounds pretty good. I've got all the CDs, so one day, I might get round to going back to lossless. Never found lossless that essential on the iPod even with Shure e4cs, 320AAC is fine...
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:09 PM   #7
Tom Foolery
macrumors regular

I've been listening to some apple lossless and aac 320kbps and hard as i tried i could not hear a difference. I like to keep my iPod in sync with iTunes and the script requires some work.

just out of curiosity how much space would 7GB of aac 128kbps take up if it was in apple lossless
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:17 PM   #8
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
just out of curiosity how much space would 7GB of aac 128kbps take up if it was in apple lossless

Hmm. I don't know... I've never let a 128AAC file near my library.

Just glancing over at a playlist in iTunes, I can see that 60 albums takes up 7.3Gb in 320 AAC.

As a rule of thumb, single albums in lossless/FLAC tend to average about 370Mb or so when all added up and averaged out over a few dozen or more, so maybe that would help with your sums.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:12 PM   #9
HiFiGuy528
macrumors 68000

I am an audiophile too. I have a 500gb HD on my MB and a 160gb iPod. I rip the CDs to AIFF, yes I can hear the difference between Apple Lossless (compressed) & AIFF (uncompressed) through my JM Lab Utopia speakers, Apogee Mini DAC & Cary 805 Anniversary 300b tube mono block amps. However, I wonder if I really want ALC on the iPod. I can't hear the difference between AAC & ALC on it.

I use two iTunes libraries. One for iPod (ALC) and one for Hi-Fi (AIFF). My problem is that I have to rip the CD twice. If it is possiable, I like to use a script that will auto convert and move the ALC files to the iPod library.

Oh, I scan the artwork to 1200dpi for the BEST look in Front Row. Yes I am crazy about perfection.

Your thoughts on this?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:15 PM   #10
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjAmTraX View Post
I rip the CDs to AIFF, yes I can hear the difference between Apple Lossless (compressed) & AIFF (uncompressed) through my JM Lab Utopia speakers, Apogee Mini DAC & Cary 805 Anniversary 300b tube mono block amps.
Since Apple Lossless, just like Flac, reconstructs a bit-identical waveform to an AIFF file, I find that extremely unlikely.

Edit: And there's no point in scanning printed artwork at 1200ppi, you're just wasting space. The roughness of a printed dot on paper is picked up fine at 600-900ppi and then you just end up with a bunch of moirés anyway. There's overkill and then there's the best you can get out of a scan.

Last edited by Blue Velvet; Dec 30, 2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:40 PM   #11
HiFiGuy528
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Since Apple Lossless, just like Flac, reconstructs a bit-identical waveform to an AIFF file, I find that extremely unlikely.

Edit: And there's no point in scanning printed artwork at 1200ppi, you're just wasting space. The roughness of a printed dot on paper is picked up fine at 600-900ppi and then you just end up with a bunch of moirés anyway. There's overkill and then there's the best you can get out of a scan.
When I tried a lower resolution (auto mode), it looks fuzzy when shown through Front Row on a 50" LCD TV. I will try 600-900. Thanks for the tip.

As far as AIFF & ALC, what I noticed was the space around the music. I know, it sounds like Hi-Fi Voo Doo, but it's there and I just can't live with less than original CD sound from my MacBook.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:45 PM   #12
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
As far as AIFF & ALC, what I noticed was the space around the music. I know, it sounds like Hi-Fi Voo Doo, but it's there and I just can't live with less than original CD sound from my MacBook.
Apple Lossless and Flac are original CD sound. You're imagining things, I'm afraid to say.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:21 PM   #13
gboss
macrumors newbie

Quote:
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina41.htm

Sounds like that is what you need.
gboss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:55 PM   #14
dolphin842
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It totally depends on how complicated the iTunes encoder thinks the song is. I've gotten Apple Lossless songs as low as 700kbps, others in the 1100kbps range. So with that as a guide, I would expect at least a 10x increase in library size from 128kbps.

Personally, I don't think my ears can tell the difference beyond ~256kbps AAC... and I take good care of my ears .
dolphin842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod