Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cs03dmj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Update: Upgraded, Jailbroken and Unlocked to TMUK; see below! :)

Sorry if you clicked this thread under false pretences, but I promise to update it as soon as I have successfully Jailbroken my "boxfresh" O2 PAYG iPhone 3G to 2.2, whilst preserving the Baseband (in preparation for the highly-anticipated unlock) using XP/Vista.

In the interim, any help/pointers gratefully received; I have seen my quota of confusing tutorials and ambiguity to last a lifetime...! :D

jmchen3

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
to keep your baseband the same use pwnagetool 2.2.1 dont use quick pwn

you will keep the previous baseband and you will be safe to downgrade back or unlock it tonight

cs03dmj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks jmchen3, but unfortunately I don't have access to a Mac and cannot use pwnagetool (hence my thread).

Fortunately however, after several hours of reading, I have succeeded in my goal. Steps (for those of you interested) are as follows:

1. Download the official firmware to match your existing version. I had 2.1, and hence downloaded it direct from Apple to my Desktop.
  2. Using the file downloaded above, Jailbreak your iPhone using the latest Quickpwn (available here). Don't worry - I too had heard not to touch Quickpwn, but we're only jailbreaking the existing firmware, NOT upgrading to 2.2 (yet); this concept took me the longest to understand! After this step, you will be left with a shiny jailbroken iPhone @ 2.1...
  3. To upgrade this to 2.2 whilst preserving the unlockable baseband, we need a custom firmware (created using a Mac & Pwnagetool) containing Cydia. Fortunately, the hard work has already been done for us; the options are for an unactivated or an activated custom firmware (for O2/AT&T etc, or illegit SIMs respectively). Download the files for whichever you require, and join them by following the instructions on the linked page (I have a legit O2 SIM and am able to activate normally, and hence used the first link. I actually downloaded the second one first, but obviously then had no signal - fortunately a restore was easy).
  4. After Jailbreaking to 2.1, we can now put the iPhone into DFU mode (Google, anyone?) and shift-click "Recover" using the latest iTunes (selecting either of the above downloads). Be sure not to click update, else you risk the baseband being inadvertently updated.

iPhone 2.1 --> 2.2, Jailbroken with preserved baseband. Done. Roll-on (in?!) yellowsn0w...

HTHSE

mmbo

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks jmchen3, but unfortunately I don't have access to a Mac and cannot use pwnagetool (hence my thread).

Fortunately however, after several hours of reading, I have succeeded in my goal. Steps (for those of you interested) are as follows:

1. Download the official firmware to match your existing version. I had 2.1, and hence downloaded it direct from Apple to my Desktop.
  2. Using the file downloaded above, Jailbreak your iPhone using the latest Quickpwn (available here). Don't worry - I too had heard not to touch Quickpwn, but we're only jailbreaking the existing firmware, NOT upgrading to 2.2 (yet); this concept took me the longest to understand! After this step, you will be left with a shiny jailbroken iPhone @ 2.1...
  3. To upgrade this to 2.2 whilst preserving the unlockable baseband, we need a custom firmware (created using a Mac & Pwnagetool) containing Cydia. Fortunately, the hard work has already been done for us; the options are for an unactivated or an activated custom firmware (for O2/AT&T etc, or illegit SIMs respectively). Download the files for whichever you require, and join them by following the instructions on the linked page (I have a legit O2 SIM and am able to activate normally, and hence used the first link. I actually downloaded the second one first, but obviously then had no signal - fortunately a restore was easy).
  4. After Jailbreaking to 2.1, we can now put the iPhone into DFU mode (Google, anyone?) and shift-click "Recover" using the latest iTunes (selecting either of the above downloads). Be sure not to click update, else you risk the baseband being inadvertently updated.

iPhone 2.1 --> 2.2, Jailbroken with preserved baseband. Done. Roll-on (in?!) yellowsn0w...

HTHSE

hi i am currently to the step of jailbroken 2.1 iphone 3G. I currently have att contract and am planning to stay with them. I am unclear as what I should do next to upgrade to 2.2 and jailbreak it? I do not wish to update my baseband either (for future unlocks) but i currently use windows and only quickpwn is available so which do i use?
lastly, is yellowsn0w for unlocking only?
Thanks in advance!

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
hi i am currently to the step of jailbroken 2.1 iphone 3G. I currently have att contract and am planning to stay with them. I am unclear as what I should do next to upgrade to 2.2 and jailbreak it? I do not wish to update my baseband either (for future unlocks) but i currently use windows and only quickpwn is available so which do i use?
lastly, is yellowsn0w for unlocking only?
Thanks in advance!

Upgrade normally with iTunes to 2.2 and jailbreak via quickpwn / winpwn. Yellowsn0w is for unlocking only but you must be on 2.2 / 2.28 baseband to do so.

mmbo

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Upgrade normally with iTunes to 2.2 and jailbreak via quickpwn / winpwn. Yellowsn0w is for unlocking only but you must be on 2.2 / 2.28 baseband to do so.

so all the warning about updating to 2.2 updates the baseband and prevents future unlocks is no longer effective. It was alll before they came out with yellowsn0w. correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.