Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wn3_z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2001
My mac has been running nonstop for 3 whole day. is this harmful? i do not have air-conditioning in my room. will the chips burn out?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
the famous age old debate

i have only been a computer techie for two years and i meet people who have been in the field for 20 years who think it is better to leave the computer on all the time and ones who believe you should shut down every time

i like to shut down every time, but when you boot back up, the power spike caused from a power up onto a cold motherboard does stress the parts ...but in 25+ years of computing, i have never fried a computer by turning it on

my professor at the college i go to for brushup teaches A+ hardware technology and he is an experienced hardware engineer and he has mentioned that booting up from a computer which is off does shoot a surge through the machine...he had us do a lot of theoretical circuitboard work and we got to monitor voltages and such

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.