Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Are there any good project management apps that you have found for the IPhone? I thought it might be helpful to keep me organized at work. I'm going to continue using my work calendar (Lotus Notes) for reminders, but a good project management app on my phone might be helpful. Thanks!

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I like Things (with it's sync'able desktop app) for managing tasks, and organizing tasks into projects ala GTD methodology.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
The "Things" web site looks pretty cool, and it looks like they will be announcing a major update at MacWorld. I'm not clear if you are able to update Things from a Windows based PC. I have a Mac at home, but sadly a PC at work.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
There are a number of apps that sync with basecamp ( http://www.basecamphq.com/ ) which is a web based project management tool/site. do a search for basecamp on itunes and you will see a few apps. i don't know which of the apps is the best since i haven't taken the dive yet because i'm waiting to see what comes down the pipeline.

as for using a GTD app for project management, me personally, i use RTM for non project related to do tasks, but am looking for project management specific app that will allow me to organize specifically by projects complete with resource allocation, gantt charts, % complete, project plans, etc. I don't consider GTD apps such as omnifocus, things, and rtm (i have all three) robust enough for serious project managing

KRAPPS

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
There are a number of apps that sync with basecamp ( http://www.basecamphq.com/ ) which is a web based project management tool/site. do a search for basecamp on itunes and you will see a few apps. i don't know which of the apps is the best since i haven't taken the dive yet because i'm waiting to see what comes down the pipeline.

Agreed - BaseCamp is an awesome project management tool ... I use it every day ... you owe it to yourself to give BaseCamp a look as well as the iPhone versions: Groundwork ($3.99), Projects ($9.99), Minivan ($6.99) ... looking at the App Store reviews, all three are evenly score with Groundwork receiving the most reviews.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Basecamp looks nice, but overkill for my purposes, especially the membership costs. I'm looking for a tool to help me stay organized. Not a big fan of subscription mobile packages.

We do use MS Project at work, but I'm hoping to have an interface with my IPhone and the web. It may be that there are only subscription solutions available, but I'll keep looking for now. Thanks for the information so far!!

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Very frustrating so far...trying to find a good app that will sync with a web interface. I'm hoping for more than just a simple to-do app. Something that has basic project management capabilities that can be entered from a browser.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
While it doesn't have a web interface check out daylite.

Their "touch" version will be released at MacWorld and I think and sync's via mobileme with the desktop version.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Is the sync'able desktop app a web interface? The thing that turns me off about RTM is the $25- yearly fee. Seems was too expensive.

No - it's not a web interface or web app. It's a stand-alone desktop application and works really well.

The "Things" web site looks pretty cool, and it looks like they will be announcing a major update at MacWorld. I'm not clear if you are able to update Things from a Windows based PC. I have a Mac at home, but sadly a PC at work.

Ahh - I think it's mac only. Sorry. :(

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
A desktop fat client doesn't help with my situation. I need to be able to add tasks and project notes on my work PC. I'm not allowed to install software on a company PC, but I can access a web page in order to add/update tasks.

There must be something like this available. I'll keep looking.

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
Basecamp looks nice, but overkill for my purposes, especially the membership costs. I'm looking for a tool to help me stay organized. Not a big fan of subscription mobile packages.

I'm in the same boat as you, I need a good projects app but don't like what I see so far. I have Things, but its quite limited and just a To-Do list in my opinion, the notes apps are ok but I want something that does it all. I use Evernote a lot as that works great, but its for notes, not a To-Do list or project planner.

Basecamp is good, they do a free plan but you get no file sharing options and only 1 project with it, though your project can be as big as you like! Also the iPhone apps that work with basecamp don't allow file sharing of any sort as basecamp haven't enabled that feature in their API. I'm thinking of buying Outpost as that looks like the most promising app to work with Basecamp.

There is an app called Pocket Informant being shown at MacWorld, thats meant to be good, not sure if it will do what I need though!

If you find the perfect app do let me know, in the meantime I think a combination of Basecamp/Outpost and Evernote is the best way for me to keep organised.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I'm in the same boat as you, I need a good projects app but don't like what I see so far. I have Things, but its quite limited and just a To-Do list in my opinion, the notes apps are ok but I want something that does it all. I use Evernote a lot as that works great, but its for notes, not a To-Do list or project planner.

Basecamp is good, they do a free plan but you get no file sharing options and only 1 project with it, though your project can be as big as you like! Also the iPhone apps that work with basecamp don't allow file sharing of any sort as basecamp haven't enabled that feature in their API. I'm thinking of buying Outpost as that looks like the most promising app to work with Basecamp.

There is an app called Pocket Informant being shown at MacWorld, thats meant to be good, not sure if it will do what I need though!

If you find the perfect app do let me know, in the meantime I think a combination of Basecamp/Outpost and Evernote is the best way for me to keep organised.

I'm hoping that there are some good things coming out of MacWorld. I'll let you know if I hear anything, and please do the same if you do. My preference is to only use a single app on my Iphone, and have a web application available for input from my work PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.