Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I am thinking about picking up the 2nd revision but I want to know if it can do a couple of things that Rev A could not.

1) Hulu.

For those with a fast connection, either ethernet or wifi it doesn't matter. I don't want the "connection" to be the variable. Test if Hulu works. Open up a show you like, watch a full show in your lap preferably and see if it stutters.

It doesn't have to be the HD Option, but regular and full screen. What's the temps like? How is the heat in your lap? Rev A, without coolbook could not last more than 20 minutes before starting to stutter.

If it doesn't stutter, can you try the HD Option? First without full screen then with full screen. Any stutter?

To eliminate the variable of connection if you have another computer to do this, could you also test it on that as well to make sure it's not your connection.

My Acer Aspire One can do fullscreen NO HD Hulu shows no stutter. I am interested in the Rev B, but do not want to pay a premium if it can't do something like that.

Thanks!

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I watched an episode of Heroes on my Late 08 (Rev B) 1.86ghz 128GB SSD with no problems in HD without it being full screen. I can try it full screen but I don't see why it would be a problem. I have streamed HD video over my local wi-fi network for hours without problems.

When I first upgraded my Air I tried a lot of different things to overheat it. I even managed to watch a full game of Sunday Night Football on NBC's website. The temp never climbed above 81º Celsius.

I'll watch an episode of Heroes in HD full screen and see what happens.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Thanks guys!

I don't see it having a problem churning out 720p in .mkv, the problem I believe is the Flash player requires a ton of resources on the OSX.

Fullscreen will use more of the resources in Flash because it's required to draw it at fullscreen.

For some reason on my Rev A, regular screen was fine, but in full screen you would see it get choppier faster, even without upping the bitrates (going to HD).

Sounds good so far but if someone could test full screen. Just a 30 minute show when you guys got time. I won't be purchasing till around January 8th, so whenever you guys get around to watching a show on Hulu.

BTW, this may become less of an issue because I too am moving away from Hulu and what not and just downloading off of bit torrent or buying off of itunes.

Oh and Fullscreen doesn't have to be HD. I'd actually be shocked if it can do fullscreen HD, if it does fullscreen NON HD, I will be very happy. :0 (From Hulu)

Is their software that will share your videos so that you can wirelessly stream to your MBA from PC?

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Alright I watched an episode of Heroes (43 minutes in length) in HD Full Screen. No stuttering, no problems at all with the video quality. I stopped the video from time to time to check the temps with iStat it stayed between 75º and 80º Celsius, with full 6200 rpm fans on. Before I tested it I checked my wi-fi connection which was at just under 9 Mbps. I had the MBA sitting on my Neoprene sleeve the whole time. By the end the laptop got very warm on the bottom but not unbearably so. I don't see it being a real problem.

For the hell of it I tried to watch it a second time using my USB 881B laptop connect card. That was a no go since my 3G signal was terrible, less than 1.5 Mbps. I suppose that was to be expected since Hulu recommends a connection with at least 2.5 Mbps download speed. :)

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Alright I watched an episode of Heroes (43 minutes in length) in HD Full Screen. No stuttering, no problems at all with the video quality. I stopped the video from time to time to check the temps with iStat it stayed between 75º and 80º Celsius, with full 6200 rpm fans on. Before I tested it I checked my wi-fi connection which was at just under 9 Mbps. I had the MBA sitting on my Neoprene sleeve the whole time. By the end the laptop got very warm on the bottom but not unbearably so. I don't see it being a real problem.

For the hell of it I tried to watch it a second time using my USB 881B laptop connect card. That was a no go since my 3G signal was terrible, less than 1.5 Mbps. I suppose that was to be expected since Hulu recommends a connection with at least 2.5 Mbps download speed. :)

WOW!

I am very surprised! Sounds good. I guess the improvements in the vid card helped with rendering the flash plus the other things.

I'll definitely be buying it. Apple store is 10 minute drive.

Thanks again for testing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.