Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
UK
Dev-Team released iPhone 3G Sim Unlock Tool:

Don't eat yellowsn0w!
Hello all,

We wish you a very happy, healthy, and hopeful 2009!

We have released the yellowsn0w 3G unlock application, and we have some information that you may find useful:

BASICS

- The unlock about to be released works exclusively with baseband 02.28.00. This baseband is provided by the latest firmware update (2.2) from Apple. You’ll need to upgrade to this release using iTunes and then use QuickPwn to activate etc. There are plenty of tutorials about this on iclarified, bigboss, and other established tutorial sites. Because it works on 02.28.00, it is available to everyone on the planet. This means we don’t need to unnecessarily expose holes in earlier basebands, which is an important concern.

- The application is a small daemon that is launched on boot. It injects the payload at boot and also whenever there is a baseband reset. You won’t notice anything about it other than that your third-party sim now works. It’s a small program and unobtrusive. There is no GUI (this is by design).

- You can add the application using the sources outlined below (coming soon). There are Cydia and Installer sources available, so use whichever you are comfortable using.

- yellowsn0w is completely removable through Cydia, the command line, and iTunes.

DETAILS

- There is a known issue with SIM cards that have STK (SIM Toolkit) application menus. These menus are usually items such as “top up” “get credit” “lotto numbers” etc. These menu items confuse the application sometimes. Removing and reinserting the SIM once after reboot (give it about 10 secs after you see the slide to unlock widget) fixes this issue. We’re working on a better fix.

- For those of you using SIM cards without STK menus, the application has some optional arguments that will make the unlock much faster for you. So either experiment on your own (use “yellowsn0w -h” for usage) or wait for a customization writeup.

- After you install yellowsn0w via Cydia, you should return to the Cydia main menu then reboot your iPhone with the 3rd party SIM installed. Wait for the slide to unlock screen, then wait 10 or 15 secs more. If you don’t see your carrier name pop up, then remove your SIM, reinsert it, and wait 10 secs more. This is the step we’ll be working on eliminating next.

RANDOM

- The application is version 0.9. This is considered beta software, you use it at your own risk. You know the score.

- The application is released on a non-commerical basis. Please do not accept pirates and scummy ripoffs of this software. We license this software for single use and in a non-commerical environment (meaning you can’t charge for it). The techniques and methods used are not to be used by third party companies. We are watching you Jody…we won’t be so forgiving this time.

- Direct linking to the repository URLs is prohibited, please only link to this post. We will be checking referers.

- Happy 2009 and enjoy!

The iPhone 3G is used all over the world with all sorts of SIM cards, and we almost certainly will see untested and unexpected situations. If the soft unlock doesn’t work for you on day 1 (literally day 1, of 2009!) then please don’t panic or be impatient. This is new territory for everyone, so enjoy the ride as much as you can :)

Original post, Cydia and installer sources: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/67797811/dont-eat-yellowsn0w

leez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
UK
Yes, for 3G, I know there is one, but not for the newest baseband.

This unlock method is available to iPhone 3Gs that have 2.11.07 baseband or earlier, we did warn you.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
meanwhile back at the ranch Wilbur works diligently putting the final tweaks on yellowsn0w

leez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
UK
Maybe I didn't ask it to clear enough:

Firmware 2.2 is:

1. The 2.2 as it is, all the soft update etc.
2. The baseband, which handles the communication with you network provider

They managed to unlock baseband 2.11.07 (or earlier). They warn people about "normal upgrading" the firmware and I was aware of that. But my question was:

Are there any rumors about working with unclock for 2.11.07 or above ?

jmann

macrumors 604
if you had read any of the comments on their blog it is stated multiple times that they will start looking for exploits/holes in the 2.2 baseband in the near future. and once they find a hole they can inject their code and it will be as unlockable as the rest of the basebands.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
And if you had read anything from Google, you'd know that you can update to 2.2 without updating the baseband using PwnageTool and it will be unlockable on 2.2.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Maybe I didn't ask it to clear enough:

Firmware 2.2 is:

1. The 2.2 as it is, all the soft update etc.
2. The baseband, which handles the communication with you network provider

They managed to unlock baseband 2.11.07 (or earlier). They warn people about "normal upgrading" the firmware and I was aware of that. But my question was:

Are there any rumors about working with unclock for 2.11.07 or above ?

Remember they are unlocking the 3G through software. 2G and the 1G were already unlocked but the 3G wasn't.
Yellowsn0w will unlock the 3G version.

leez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
UK
And if you had read anything from Google, you'd know that you can update to 2.2 without updating the baseband using PwnageTool and it will be unlockable on 2.2.

I know, I was aware of that, I don't need to unlock right now, it might be useful for me in the future. All I wanted is the newest baseband update :).

I admit, missed the part on their blog, where they are saying about working on new hole in the NEWEST baseband. Will wait and see, how it goes.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
yellowsnOw so close yet so quiet?

Its 31st. Do we have an ETA as to when it will be released? just curious as I've been checking this forum every 10 mins to see a mention of it.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
According to the blog it will be released about 20 hrs from now. I may be wrong. Rather hope I'm wrong and its released earlier.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I'm hoping someone posts a new thread at least once per hour asking when it will be released.

This app will get released when it's ready. Do you want them to release a buggy installer for an app that can brick your phone? Plus, if you want the latest information about this, go to their blog. Why would you think someone here has some super secret, insider information?

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
^ yellowsn0w is the dev team's soft unlock for the iPhone 3G, it is being released today on NYE, though there is some contention as to when it will actually be made available hence the amount of chatter on the subject.

On a side note I just opened Cydia and it stated that there was an essential upgrade, I wonder if it has anything to do with the yellowsn0w release?

Just checked and can't see a package for yellowsn0w yet.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
n a side note I just opened Cydia and it stated that there was an essential upgrade, I wonder if it has anything to do with the yellowsn0w release?

No, it's an upgrade to the Cydia Installer.

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
No, it's an upgrade to the Cydia Installer.

As you say it'll be ready when it's ready, being in the UK I was hoping to get it some time today but am expecting it some time tomorrow, I just couldn't help getting excited when I saw the Cydia upgrade...nevermind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.