Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Mar 1, 2004, 02:35 PM   #1
starcrossed
macrumors regular

Best way to get started with Xcode & Cocoa programming?

Hi, I have been interested in learning about programming and such since Apple has provided their Xcode tools for free with the MacOS CDs, but I currently know very very little about programming and such. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good books or materials that could serve as tutorials for a begginer. I know that the Big Nerd Ranch and O'Reily have some good books out, but reviewers have commented on how they aren't meant for amateurs, so I don't want to waste my money on that, if it is the case. I also had thought about taking up a computer course in college to help me learn, but I have no idea which to take and if they are designed for someone who is new to the field. Overall, I don't want to be a programmer as a career, but I would like to learn to skills as a hobby and build my own little programs and so, so any advice would be greatly appreciated on which direction I should take.
starcrossed is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 02:55 PM   #2
varmit
macrumors 68000

Dummy books

I got that one when I wanted to start learning Cocoa Programming. For a language like Java the environment is not that hard to learn, you only really need to get a book for a new language. Go to the local Barns and Noble and just go though the computer section, read a little bit, see if they show you anything new, and just pick one.

Last edited by varmit; Mar 1, 2004 at 03:00 PM.
varmit is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 03:44 PM   #3
janey
macrumors 603

it all depends on what language you want to learn. If you're gonna do primarily Mac OS X development, then learning Objective-C is the best idea, but the problem with learning that language is that its difficult to learn with no experience, especially with the books out there.

So you should go learn Java or C/C++/C# instead. Or you can do some HTML or Javascript or PHP or Ruby or Perl...blah blah...

janey is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion