Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smellyjw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Hi guys,
I've been using VLC 8.6 I think it was (I know it was version 8 something) to play my dvd's because I have wanted to keep my dvd player region free,
(HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N BP10).

I'm running 10.5.6 and just downloaded the new version of VLC 0.9.8a.

Currently I'm living in the UK but I purchased my MacBook in Feb 08 back in Australia. I haven't had ANY problems what so ever viewing dvd's from anywhere and still don't except for one I received over christmas.

Someone sent me season 7 of CSI from Aus for chrissy and VLC on Mac fails to play it. I have tried the dvd's on a normal dvd player and also on a PC (using VLC) and they play no problem.

I don't quiet know what the problem is with it that it just wont play AT all on my mac.

This is the message I get in the VLC player in the "messages" log:
main debug: finished input
main debug: dying input
main debug: dying input
macosx debug: input has stopped, refreshing interface
main debug: thread ended
main debug: thread 2960281600 joined (dvdnav.c:367)
main debug: removing module "dvdnav"
main debug: thread ended
main debug: dead input
main debug: thread 2959749120 joined (playlist/engine.c:244)
main debug: TIMER input launching for 'CSI_LV_7_2_D1' : 7190.167 ms - Total 7190.167 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 7190.166 ms)
main debug: starting new item
main debug: changing item without a request (current 1/2)
main debug: nothing to play
main debug: no fetch required for Playlist (art currently (null))
main debug: no fetch required for Playlist (art currently (null))

the drive sounds like it's spinning the disk and then nothing. I tried putting other dvd's in and they play not a problem.

I've read that there are quiet a few bugs with this new version of VLC so am hoping that this is the problem.

Would anyone please be able to help me, as I don't have my own tv /dvd or regular access to a PC either, and my MacBook comes with me everywhere. Seems no point in having the dvd if I can't play it.

Would be thankful for any help.

thatghost

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009
just wondering
Have you tried the dvd player on the mac?

I saw that alot of people are having problems with some dvds

From the VLC forums
The problem is not really on the VLC side, but rather on Apple's side. For Mac DVD drives, it feels like they specifically chose brands whose makers have gone above and beyond the call of duty regarding region coding: VLC is often unable to overcome their particular locking.
However, depending on the exact model of your drive, you might be able to flash the firmware with a so-called RPC1 version.

sorry i couldn't find the answer

smellyjw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
just wondering
Have you tried the dvd player on the mac?

I saw that alot of people are having problems with some dvds

From the VLC forums

sorry i couldn't find the answer

thanks for replying. And no i havent tried it in Mac DVD player application because I don't want to set my drive to a region, which is why I always use.

I just find it odd that every single dvd that i try works and yet this one doesnt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.