Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 1, 2009, 05:42 PM   #1
kovy17
macrumors member

First Class Email

Is there a way to make First Class email address work on an Iphone?

Powerbook G4 12 inch

New macbook soon
kovy17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 05:44 PM   #2
FSUSem1noles
macrumors 65832

Send a message via AIM to FSUSem1noles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovy17 View Post
I was wondering the same thing, what I've been doing is just going to the web login version... But I was wondering if there was a way I could have my work email (First Class) forwarded.. I work for a school district so not sure if they have the proper ports opened..
Old Jan 1, 2009, 05:45 PM   #3
ZiggyPastorius
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to ZiggyPastorius Send a message via MSN to ZiggyPastorius Send a message via Skype™ to ZiggyPastorius
Quote:
I don't know if it will work (since I don't have one), but go to settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Add account... --> Other and try it in there, then send yourself a test email.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 05:56 PM   #4
ppc750fx
macrumors 65816

Unless your administrators have disabled them, your First Class mail server provides POP/SMTP services -- you can use your account as you would any POP/SMTP account.
ppc750fx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 07:07 PM   #5
FSUSem1noles
macrumors 65832

Send a message via AIM to FSUSem1noles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppc750fx View Post
Unless your administrators have disabled them, your First Class mail server provides POP/SMTP services -- you can use your account as you would any POP/SMTP account.
I'm almost positive our administrators have it disabled, I tried setting it up with POP on the original iPhone and it wouldn't work..
Old Jan 1, 2009, 07:16 PM   #6
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUSem1noles View Post
I'm almost positive our administrators have it disabled, I tried setting it up with POP on the original iPhone and it wouldn't work..
I (apologize in advance) don't know what First Class E-mail is, exactly, but assuming that this is an e-mail service you use that has a web access and for which your admins have disabled POP/IMAP access as you say, is there any chance it's supported by a webmail aggregator like IzyMail?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:20 PM   #7
ppc750fx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
I (apologize in advance) don't know what First Class E-mail is, exactly, but assuming that this is an e-mail service you use that has a web access and for which your admins have disabled POP/IMAP access as you say, is there any chance it's supported by a webmail aggregator like IzyMail?
FirstClass is a (IMHO rather poor) piece of groupware that's popular in the education sector. It usually uses its own proprietary client/protocol, but can offer POP (and, IIRC, IMAP) access in addition to webmail.

My suggestion is this: check to see if ports 25, 110, 143, 587, and 995 are open. If some of them are, then there's a chance you can get access to your mailbox via POP or IMAP. If not, ask your admins why the functionality is disabled, and if they can enable it. It's a perfectly legitimate feature, and you should be able to make a case for it.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:23 PM   #8
ppc750fx
macrumors 65816

Just a follow-up:

If you go to FSU, you do indeed have a POP/IMAP-accessible mailbox ;-)
Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:45 AM   #9
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppc750fx View Post
If you go to FSU, you do indeed have a POP/IMAP-accessible mailbox ;-)
Yeah, if it's being used in a University setting, I can scarcely believe that, except under exceptional circumstances, you would not be granted one out of the three major access standards (POP, IMAP, or Exchange).
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:11 PM   #10
kovy17
macrumors member

Help setting it up

Thanks for all the replies! Could anyone walk me through the steps to setting this up Cause I have no knowledge of what POP and all this other stuff is. Thanks in advance.

Powerbook G4 12 inch

New macbook soon
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:59 PM   #11
ppc750fx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies! Could anyone walk me through the steps to setting this up Cause I have no knowledge of what POP and all this other stuff is. Thanks in advance.
If you tell me the address of the FirstClass server I can check and see if it offers POP/IMAP access. If it does, I (and other users here) would be more than happy to assist you in setting up your account.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:39 PM   #12
kovy17
macrumors member

Thanks for the help

I am pretty sure they allow access cause a senior last year had his first class email on his Iphone. This is the server address fcmail.lovett.org

Powerbook G4 12 inch

New macbook soon
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:03 PM   #13
ChrisN
macrumors 65816

I have first class on my iPhone
In settings in the mail section I have the following info for my accountIt's a pop account btw)
Name: (Your Name)
Address: (your email address)
Description: First Class

Incoming Mail Server
Host Name: mail.nvnet.org (nvnet is my school)
User Name: (The user name you use in desktop version)
Password: (Your password)

Outgoing mail Server
SMTP: smtp.mail.nvnet.org (Once again nvnet is my school)

That's what I have also check here:

ChrisN
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:25 PM   #14
penningtonm
macrumors newbie

Iphone App for First Class

download the app from

http://www.firstclass.com/iphone/
penningtonm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting