Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

native00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
San Diego
I am internet sharing using an older iMac running Leopard. I have a Powerbook that of course works fine with the iMac.

My niece just got an hp laptop for xmas and it wont connect with the iMac. I have already searched the net...i promise, but to no avail.

This page was the most informational:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030803030354585

I can't find the keymaker, so I don't know how to make an appropriate hex key. So then I just took the password off of the network. PC still won't connect.

On the pc, i clicked 'properties' for my iMac's network. Her OS (vista) demands a password, even though I removed the security. To me, this means I have to come up with an appropriate hex key.

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
hm thats strange.

id never had to enter a hex key.

ive ran old PCs and Old Macs off my MBP's airport.

what i did was:

System Prefs>Sharing>Internet Sharing, Checked the box, selected share from AirPort.

On the PC, i just went to
Control Panel>Networks (forgot the exact extension), selected the Wireless Network Icon, enabled it and then selected the network i just created/am sharing frm the list and was instantly connected.

that article is a bit archaic and you shouldnt need to use a hex key or any sort of password.

you may want to start from the beginning and go from there.
the PC should connect just as easily as the Macs did, and should show up in the list of Wireless connections without the need for the HEX key....maybe instead of clicking WEP protection, just connect without that instead next time...considering there is no password for the network anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.