Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Old Jan 2, 2009, 01:16 AM   #1
laserfox
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to laserfox
Do you read? Post your library/bookself!

By the way do you guys re-read books? I always find I can re-read the Hitchhiker's Guide series and still find it funny. I am yet to re-read the Harry Potter series. Maybe after I graduate this summer.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 01:26 AM   #2
fleshman03
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfox View Post

By the way do you guys re-read books? I always find I can re-read the Hitchhiker's Guide series and still find it funny. I am yet to re-read the Harry Potter series. Maybe after I graduate this summer.
Nice bookshelf. I'll post mine tomorrow. (too dark in the house with the family sleeping.)

I see the Douglas Adams book. I'm a huge fan of those classic series from B&N. I have like 4 or 5 of there books. Really nice binding and great looking on the shelf. I'm really partial to the Sherlock Holmes edition.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 01:14 PM   #3
redrabbit
macrumors 6502

I'm in college so I try to keep the amount of stuff I have here to a minimum. Hence, I rely on one of these to store all my books (and magazines, and newspapers)

redrabbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 02:38 PM   #4
laserfox
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshman03 View Post
Nice bookshelf. I'll post mine tomorrow. (too dark in the house with the family sleeping.)

I see the Douglas Adams book. I'm a huge fan of those classic series from B&N. I have like 4 or 5 of there books. Really nice binding and great looking on the shelf. I'm really partial to the Sherlock Holmes edition.
Yep Thats the Douglas Adams books indeed! One of my favorites and I particularly like "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul"; its weird and very comical, almost the same style of writing as the Hitchhikers series. I also own this book and others in ebook format, so I can read on the go lol.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 03:48 PM   #5
buyusfear
macrumors 6502

I'm more of a magazine guy. I do like books though.

(these pics I took a while ago, but they kinda work for this thread)

Thumb resize. Thumb resize. Thumb resize.

Thumb resize. Thumb resize. Thumb resize. Thumb resize.
buyusfear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 04:19 PM   #6
timerollson
macrumors 65816

Nice, everyone.

All of my books are in moving boxes. But on my desk at home is a copy of "The Audacity of Hope", "Freakonomics", "Man Gone Down". and a French instructional book...and I'm currently reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" (100 or so pages til I'm finished).

Last edited by timerollson; May 11, 2009 at 04:17 AM. Reason: added image
timerollson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 05:11 PM   #7
fleshman03
macrumors 68000

The one thing that I'm finding more and more of is authors posting a PDF of their book on a website dedicated to the book. Take a look at some of these:

Blown to Bits
The Future of the Internet
Pirate's Dilemma
Code 2.0 + Others

All of those were posted by the author of the book under a CC license.

I really like that. Anyone had any others for their "Digital Bookshelf?"
Old Jan 2, 2009, 05:59 PM   #8
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

All of my books are packed away. I did not have enough room in my Suburban for my bookshelf when I moved from California to Georgia.

I do occasionally reread books. If they are really good like Tai-Pan or Shogun.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:57 PM   #9
Mike Teezie
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyusfear View Post
I'm more of a magazine guy. I do like books though.

(these pics I took a while ago, but they kinda work for this thread)
Beautiful R7 and R8. I have an R6 myself.
Mike Teezie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 08:07 PM   #10
CalmEnvy
macrumors 6502

I don't have much of a book collection since I usually just read my brothers books he already has. We basically have the same taste, so no point in getting the same books he already has. There are also some that are in boxes I'll have to go through. I'm also starting to get into graphic novels as well.

Brothers Collection

The Killing Joke

Watchmen (Reading Now)

I also have the Harry Potter collection. When I move out I'll have to buy most of the books my brother has anyways lol.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 08:15 PM   #11
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
i used to read a lot in bed and for school but not much anymore. anyone have any tips to to get back into reading again? i guess i have to find a new book that really captivates me and slowly get back into reading so i cant put it down.

i want to start reading more to increase my imagination and vocabulary. i guess i read a lot on the internets but does that really have any advantages over reading books?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 08:28 PM   #12
buyusfear
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teezie View Post
Beautiful R7 and R8. I have an R6 myself.
Thanks.

I'm jealous of your R6, I so wish I had an P-90 Les Paul.

I'm always on the hunt for an R4. Ideally I'd like to retrofit a trapeze onto one so that it would look like a '52 LP, but be topwrapped. I've seen this doen by someone else and I instantly wanted one. (perhaps if the economy keeps up i'll be able to pick myself up an original '52)
buyusfear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:16 PM   #13
laserfox
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerollson View Post
Nice, everyone.

Since I just graduated, all of my books are in moving boxes. But on my desk at home is a copy of "The Audacity of Hope", "Freakonomics", "Man Gone Down". and a French instructional book...and I'm currently reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" (100 or so pages til I'm finished).

I have yet to finish reading A thousand Splendid Suns. Somehow I think its going to be morbidly depressing like the Kite Runner, so I put it down after a couple pages. I loved the Kite Runner up until that fateful incident, where I threw the book against the wall in a fit of rage. I was forced to finish reading it for my Sociology Class. As a result I never bothered reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Has anyone read the Lovely bones? Peter Jackson is making the movie I heard.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:38 PM   #14
timerollson
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfox View Post
I have yet to finish reading A thousand Splendid Suns. Somehow I think its going to be morbidly depressing like the Kite Runner, so I put it down after a couple pages. I loved the Kite Runner up until that fateful incident, where I threw the book against the wall in a fit of rage. I was forced to finish reading it for my Sociology Class. As a result I never bothered reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.
I just finished A Thousand Splendid suns. It has me feeling....drained, I guess. There were 4 parts that had me tearing up. ...and there's a series of events in the novel that absolutely tear at my heart. It's a good book, but Khaled knows how to make a reader feel for his characters. I couldn't even feel optimistic at the book's end. And I suppose that was the author's intention...to raise awareness of <issues>. (I don't want to spoil it for those interested in reading it).

And yeah, I read the Kite Runner too. If I had to compare, Kite Runner is a fresh scoop of ice cream on a summer day, while A Thousand Splendid Suns is wet socks [uncomfortable & frustrating].
timerollson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 12:52 AM   #15
laserfox
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerollson View Post
And I suppose that was the author's intention...to raise awareness of <issues>. (I don't want to spoil it for those interested in reading it).

And yeah, I read the Kite Runner too. If I had to compare, Kite Runner is a fresh scoop of ice cream on a summer day, while A Thousand Splendid Suns is wet socks [uncomfortable & frustrating].
LoL wet sock hee! I'll put it aside for reading when I want to be manipulated by emotional drivel. I agree though, that the author did a great job of bringing awareness to the whole issue of racial stratification and ethnic inequality in Afghanistan. I just wished he was less...morbid.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 09:57 AM   #16
BoyBach
macrumors 68040

Sadly, I don't have enough room for a bookcase so nearly all of my books are boxed and in storage.

My to-read list (currently reading "Breath" by Tim Winton):
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2071.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	947.5 KB
ID:	151243

Recently read and waiting to be stored:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2072.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	906.4 KB
ID:	151244