Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:15 AM   #1
Muds
macrumors newbie

Screen washed out on new MacBook Pro

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with their unibody Macbook pro screen getting washed out after a while - especially if the computer has been put into and woken from sleep.

I run a 24 inch dell monitor along side my MBP in dual monitor mode, the MBP the slave monitor, with the Dell the main monitor. After a while of use, approx 2 hours, the macbook pro screen fades out/appears washed out. It seems to settle after either a restart or dimming the MBP screen to black for a few minutes.

My MBP is not on a cooling stand but I'm going to get one

Is this a heat thing, a firmware thing or a defective hardware?

I'm running 10.5.6 and have updated the firmware/efi as per apple updates.

Any ideas?

Muds
30Gb iPod Video, 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Muds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:17 AM   #2
BioCore
macrumors regular

I think I know what you are referring to. I also get this effect like you after using the laptop for a while. I have not seen any problems from my late 2007 MacBook Pro model. If I do find something out though I will post back.
BioCore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 05:48 AM   #3
RogerMarlow
macrumors newbie

I have exactly this problem, made more obvious because I have an additional desktop monitor next to my MBP. The monitor has rich colours but the MBP looks washed out. It happens intermittently and as far as I can tell bright light is the cause, for example on a sunny day.

The solution seems to be to go to System Preferences-> Universal Access and click on the "Enhance contrast" slider.

In my case the slider is always set to "Normal", all the way to the left, but just clicking on it corrects the problem even though the slider does not move.
RogerMarlow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Andrew K.
macrumors 65816

Mine was washed out too and had a yellowish tint, a calibration helped the colors but not the washiness of the blacks and some negative viewing angles. I'm already setup for repair.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMarlow View Post
I have exactly this problem, made more obvious because I have an additional desktop monitor next to my MBP. The monitor has rich colours but the MBP looks washed out. It happens intermittently and as far as I can tell bright light is the cause, for example on a sunny day.
Make sure you are using 2.2 gamma. Helps a lot.
Kilamite is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro