Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Brisbane
Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with their unibody Macbook pro screen getting washed out after a while - especially if the computer has been put into and woken from sleep.

I run a 24 inch dell monitor along side my MBP in dual monitor mode, the MBP the slave monitor, with the Dell the main monitor. After a while of use, approx 2 hours, the macbook pro screen fades out/appears washed out. It seems to settle after either a restart or dimming the MBP screen to black for a few minutes.

My MBP is not on a cooling stand but I'm going to get one

Is this a heat thing, a firmware thing or a defective hardware?

I'm running 10.5.6 and have updated the firmware/efi as per apple updates.

Any ideas?

Muds

BioCore

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
I think I know what you are referring to. I also get this effect like you after using the laptop for a while. I have not seen any problems from my late 2007 MacBook Pro model. If I do find something out though I will post back.:apple:

RogerMarlow

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
Cheshire, UK
I have exactly this problem, made more obvious because I have an additional desktop monitor next to my MBP. The monitor has rich colours but the MBP looks washed out. It happens intermittently and as far as I can tell bright light is the cause, for example on a sunny day.

The solution seems to be to go to System Preferences-> Universal Access and click on the "Enhance contrast" slider.

In my case the slider is always set to "Normal", all the way to the left, but just clicking on it corrects the problem even though the slider does not move.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Mine was washed out too and had a yellowish tint, a calibration helped the colors but not the washiness of the blacks and some negative viewing angles. I'm already setup for repair.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I have exactly this problem, made more obvious because I have an additional desktop monitor next to my MBP. The monitor has rich colours but the MBP looks washed out. It happens intermittently and as far as I can tell bright light is the cause, for example on a sunny day.

Make sure you are using 2.2 gamma. Helps a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.