Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james-thescalie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
has anyone had any experience with one of these? I was thinking about an mbox2 but i think this one is better value + i use protools at college all the time and think it would be better to get accustomed to more than just one program although im hoping to become protools 101 trained soon and continue up that ladder.

any help on this would be great

http://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/pa-live/mixers/alesis-multimix-8-usb-20.html

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Hi. I was going to buy one, but if you look carefully only the two master tracks go down to the computer (2in, 2 out) , unlike the firewire version which is 8in 2out, i'm guessing thats what you want.

I bought the multimix 8firewire and was very pleased with it, I never had any problems. The preamps were a bit noisy... i'd recommend going for something a bit better, although the price will increase.

Unless you are doing high quality reccordings, its an excellent bit of kit for the price(the firewire one that is) but I personally wouldn't go for the USB version.

EDIT: Hmm, it appears they have updated the product since I last looked at it, and it would seem like it does have 10 ins. I didn't think usb could cope with that!

From the alesis website: NOTE:
Alesis USB 2.0 mixers do not currently support Mac OS 10.5.6. OS 10.5.5 and earlier versions still work without problem and we are working with Apple on a solution.

Something to bear in mind.

james-thescalie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
cheers :D i didnt look that far into it glad someone noticed it wasnt compatable.
The firewire one is out of the question anyway because i have the late 08 macbook and apple decided to get rid of the firewireports on it :S is there anykind of firewire>usb converter?

thanks again for the quick reply

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Not that I'm aware of, but either way, I wouldn't want to add in an extra device into the chain.

If the USB MultiMix really can do multiple inputs, then I'd say go for it. Just to check though, I would ring Alesis customer support and ask very specifically "Can I record each channel independently on the USB MultiMix 8?". If they say yes, and it turns out you can't, then you can send it back on the grounds of the product not being fit for the purpose for which it was intended.

james-thescalie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
thanks again for something i didnt notice haha just realized how uch i didnt look into the bloody thing haha.

killyp, you have a good sound!! Earth path is amazing, added you with my bands page ;)

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I have one and enjoy it... However I do not use it for many inputs and mainly just use it as a sound-card. With that being said it currently is working in Leopard?

james-thescalie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
what i think i will do is take my macbook into the shop and just ask them to see if its compatable, ive read various things were it does work with leopard and then other places are saying it dosnt so dunno whats going on there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.