Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I just put in the Scorpio Black 7200 and could not stand the vibration/hum of the drive. I went from a perfectly quiet macbook to this constant hum, no noise, just could feel it. Anyway, thought I would try the 500gb Hitachi TravelStar 5K500. Confirmed that it fits the aluminum macbook. I was able to fit it in and close the battery lid. I am wiping out the Scorpio so that I can return it, but thought I would share that this drive does fit.

I will take some pictures when I install it.

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Sounds awesome. Could you also please post a review of the differences between the three drives as far as hum/vibration go? Thanks!

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Found The Perfect Drive!!!!

Just got done with running super duper and installed the Hitachi drive. This drive is actually smoother than the stock Toshiba 250gb and that drive is extremely quiet and smooth.

I had to check to make sure it was working since I could not hear anything and can not feel anything in terms of vibration/hum. This drive feels like I have an SSD installed. I was honestly worried that the drive was not working at all. :)

I have to check the performance later since it is late, but when running super duper, the speed was almost as fast as the Scorpio Black.

If anyone is considering upgrading their hard drive, I highly recommend this one, especially if you are sensitive to the vibration like I was. I now have 500 gigs that feels like an SSD. Not sure why, but maybe it is the extra height that helps?

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Have to say performance is much quicker than the stock drive. Itunes opens in 1 bounce and pretty much immediately opens now, same with iPhoto. Open office that would take anywhere from 5-10 seconds to launch, now opens in less in about 3-5 seconds. Nothing official in terms of measuring performance yet, but this drive is very quick. These applications before would take a little bit longer to open and there is definitely an improvement. Not that it is huge change, it is nice that it is quicker and have huge amount of storage. Also, battery life is the same as it was before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.