Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 3, 2009, 08:28 AM   #1
sk8mash
macrumors 6502a

iPhone receiving text messages twice.

My iPhone keeps receiving text messages twice. Identical texts. But not from everyone, just alot of people, and they arn't sending them twice...its weird.

Anyone else had this?
Old Jan 3, 2009, 08:30 AM   #2
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

Silly question but is it actually recieving two messages so when you view the message in the SMS application the entries are duplicated.

I've had a network glitch before where one day in a short period I receive a lot of duplicated messages, is this happening consistantly for long periods.

Or not then it is the double alert that the iPhone gives for text messages (a stupid setting if you ask me).
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 08:38 AM   #3
sk8mash
macrumors 6502a

No, it is definitely receiving the message twice, as in it shows up twice in my messages. Has been happening for a few days now. Just wondering if maybe I should phone up my service provider? I don't want them somehow trying to charge me more!

Oh and thanks for moving the thread
Old Jan 3, 2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Loonytik
macrumors 6502a

This happened to me yesterday. I received a message from someone and about 2 minutes later I received the exact same message even though they didn't send it twice.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:30 AM   #5
dr pimper
macrumors newbie

This happens to me too once and a while. Really annoying. I wonder if it charges me for 2...
dr pimper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:36 AM   #6
DPA
macrumors 65816

Location: trapped as a prisoner of a purple aurora and an aluminum device
It happens when the person sending the message clicks send and then goes into a place with low service. Then when they come out, their phone sends it again because it thought it didn't get sent. This shouldn't happen a lot unless the person who you are receiving duplicates from is on a camping trip or something like that.

Regards,
David
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:40 AM   #7
MST
macrumors 6502

Definitely check with your service provider just to be sure; maybe there is a problem with your message centre settings or similar. I can't imagine that your provider would end up charging you for more because generally you don't have to pay to receive messages [at least we don't in the UK], that is unless you are roaming on another network abroad.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Goldfinger
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MST View Post
Definitely check with your service provider just to be sure; maybe there is a problem with your message centre settings or similar. I can't imagine that your provider would end up charging you for more because generally you don't have to pay to receive messages [at least we don't in the UK], that is unless you are roaming on another network abroad.
Americans pay for receiving calls and sms'.

On a maybe related note: I sometimes receive a message and immediately read it. A few minutes later I get the SMS notification sound again but no new SMS'. Has anyone experienced this as well ?
Goldfinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:01 AM   #9
MST
macrumors 6502

^ REALLY?!

I think that the double SMS notification sound you mention is what xUKHCx was referring to in his reply when he mentioned double alerts, and he's right...it is a stupid and most annoying setting
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:09 AM   #10
DPA
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MST View Post
^ REALLY?!

I think that the double SMS notification sound you mention is what xUKHCx was referring to in his reply when he mentioned double alerts, and he's right...it is a stupid and most annoying setting
I have received messages twice before and when I contacted AT&T about it they gave me the explanation that the person sending was going through a no service or low service zone and the phone sent it twice. I have unlimited texting so I didn't ask if I was charged twice. I assume that you would because you are receiving two messages. I also have had my iPhone notify me twice for one text message but not notify me a minute or two after I receive it. It does however vibrate or ring about two seconds before the screen says I have a text message. I have found this to be normal and not frustrating at all.

Regards,
David
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:16 AM   #11
sk8mash
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCP.guru.guy View Post
It happens when the person sending the message clicks send and then goes into a place with low service. Then when they come out, their phone sends it again because it thought it didn't get sent. This shouldn't happen a lot unless the person who you are receiving duplicates from is on a camping trip or something like that.

Regards,
David
I doubt that is the case here, because it is happening with texts from many different people
Old Feb 4, 2009, 07:55 PM   #12
Pacer69
macrumors member

This is an incredibly annoying "feature" that was added with 2.1 I believe. Tell Apple to change it here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
Pacer69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 08:37 PM   #13
rednano74
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCP.guru.guy View Post

Regards,
David
I received the exact same txt from AT&T once that were within seconds of each other. Hardly doubt they were hmmm camping.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:36 AM   #14
MacVixen
macrumors 6502

My husband and I were separated in a museum on Saturday so I sent him a text asking where he was - he received the text about 8 times over the next 10 minutes! I thought maybe I was hitting send again from the phone being in my pocket or something. But when I checked my phone it seemed as though I had only sent it once - the coverage seemed fine in the building - I am in Silicon Valley and we get pretty good coverage in most places, so maybe it was just some sort of network hiccup that day.
MacVixen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 03:48 PM   #15
DPA
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVixen View Post
My husband and I were separated in a museum on Saturday so I sent him a text asking where he was - he received the text about 8 times over the next 10 minutes! I thought maybe I was hitting send again from the phone being in my pocket or something. But when I checked my phone it seemed as though I had only sent it once - the coverage seemed fine in the building - I am in Silicon Valley and we get pretty good coverage in most places, so maybe it was just some sort of network hiccup that day.
It may have been a network problem. If you really want a solution, contact AT&T and see if they were doing work that day. They may just give you the explanation they gave me in my post a while ago.

David

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting