Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
So, anyone else have to get their 2g repaired yet? my screen got cracked the other night and i'm trying to decide if i should get it repaired or if I should just spend the extra and get the iphone when the 32gb comes out tuesday (crosses fingers)... I know a cracked screen wont be covered by warranty so i'm assuming it's going to cost a pretty penny to fix it.

mazza101

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
cost

i have been looking round the net and they are about 100 quid to be repaired inc postage but if you want to get ride for it for spares incase my dayghters goes wrong then i may be intrested

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
i read the title of your thread and instantly crapped my pants. i hope that doesnt happen to my ipod touch. my pre-ci-ous (pets ipod touch)

wHo_tHe

macrumors regular
Happened to mine. It's a very small crack (no more than 1cm or so) and hasn't grown since I discovered it about two months ago. It's right in the middle of the long edge on the right.

I don't think the slim iPod Touch v2 is strong enough to prevent enough flexing that could crack the screen, particularly at the very thin beveled edge. I know it's not covered under warranty, but I think it should be since it's being facilitated by a design decision on Apple's part. (I do not abuse my equipment and the crack occured while the iPod Touch was in my pocket, just like I've carried my iPhone forever.)

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Sorry Acorn, didn't mean to startle ya, hope ya didn't need a jump start.

Also Mazza, feel free to email me at Nickwell24@gmail.com if you possibly want to talk about buying it for spare parts, although i'm thinking about just paying the $100 to get it fixed and sell it as used/repaired as I think i might get a bit more.

Who_tHe: I wish mine was a knick, i'm pretty sure I accidentally ran it over with my car after messing around with my neices car seat, that and being in shorts with baggy pants... bad combo for an ipod touch :(...

If anyone does want to possibly buy it for part or for fixing, shoot me an email, it's 32 gb, warranty probably voided by this though...

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
Happened to mine. It's a very small crack (no more than 1cm or so) and hasn't grown since I discovered it about two months ago. It's right in the middle of the long edge on the right.

I don't think the slim iPod Touch v2 is strong enough to prevent enough flexing that could crack the screen, particularly at the very thin beveled edge. I know it's not covered under warranty, but I think it should be since it's being facilitated by a design decision on Apple's part. (I do not abuse my equipment and the crack occured while the iPod Touch was in my pocket, just like I've carried my iPhone forever.)

You may want to read this post

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Single hairline cracks are covered as long as there is no sign of physical damage on the body of the unit. Don't go in there saying you dropped it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.