Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 2, 2004, 09:25 AM   #1
Awimoway
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: at the edge
Called on the Carpet: Athletes and Steroids

For the first time, a news organization (The San Francisco Chronicle) is coming right out and saying that a number of high-profile athletes received steroids. It dances around a little, though, by declining to state whether they actually took the steroids because their unnamed source can't confirm that little detail, but it's an interesting development nonetheless.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...3/02/BALCO.TMP (no membership required)

Perhaps the most interesting aspect is the political one: the government refuses to prosecute the athletes themselves, having granted them immunity in exchange for testimony. Frankly, pro sports would rather turn a blind eye to steroid use than get serious about it because it wants to put forward the best product. And the best product isn't necessarily a fair or healthy product.

The Olympics, however, are screwed. The US Olympic Team allegedly helps American athletes beat the rap. And between steroid use and letting transgendered athletes in (no offense to our transgendered friends, but you might as well just abolish all gendered categories if you do this because it will be unfair now anyway), the Olympics is a disaster.

A level playing field is, I think, completely impossible to achieve anymore.
__________________
Relax me, Amuse me, Teach me, Arouse me.
-- Carrie Heeter, "Ode to a Remote Control Device"
Awimoway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:48 AM   #2
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3
 
Chip NoVaMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
The sports fans are as much to blame. They still support the teams with players that break the laws. Never understood how fans can be so behind players that get paid in one year, what they the fan might not even see in a lifetime.
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:54 PM   #3
wdlove
macrumors 604
 
wdlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
The athletes should actually be concerned about their own health. Steroids should only be used under the supervision of a physician. "Anabolic steroid abuse can also cause undesirable body changes. These include breast development and genital shrinking in men, masculinization of the body in women, and acne and hair loss in both sexes." This alone should cause them to give it a second thought. Besides complications to the heart.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/ResearchRepo...cSteroids.html
__________________
First MacRumors "Contributor"
wdlove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 07:11 PM   #4
AngryLawnGnome
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac
The sports fans are as much to blame. They still support the teams with players that break the laws. Never understood how fans can be so behind players that get paid in one year, what they the fan might not even see in a lifetime.
It's a shame about all this mess. Barry is awesome, and I hope this doesn't result in anything drastic. Don't get me wrong, I disagree with steroid use, but there's nothing wrong with supporting your favorite athletes. I don't think they're even "breaking laws." Isn't it just true that it's illegal within athletic competition, not the government? Also, who cares how much money they make. It's ridiculous, true, but why should we not support someone who makes more money than we do? That's just being bitter.

Last edited by angrylawngnome; Mar 2, 2004 at 07:16 PM.
AngryLawnGnome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 08:15 PM   #5
womencantsail
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Siberian Labor Camp
The leagues are to blame, not the fans. If I'm Joe Schmo, and I have the choice of getting cut, or taking steroids and making the team, and therefore making big time money, let's see, what am I going to do. If MLB would have started testing for this stuff, we wouldn't be wondering, does Sosa use steroids? How 'bout Bonds or Giambi? This garbage should have been banned from the sport years ago. Look at the NFL, they have a policy against steroids, why can't MLB?

As far as the three guys I mentioned above, if you don't believe they take steroids, pull your head out from under that rock. You don't go from being a skinny left fielder (Giambi) into a massive 1B/DH. Sosa, same thing. Thin guy up until a couple years ago. And Bonds has always been a good player, no doubt about it, but in your mid to late 30's, you don't suddenly pack on the pounds and hit 70+ HR's. And then his trainer gets busted for dealing the juice, wow, that screams innocence.
__________________
Mato muppets en broma
womencantsail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:09 PM   #6
gwuMACaddict
macrumors 68040
 
gwuMACaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: washington dc
i blame the athletes...

not the owners, not the fans, not the media, not the anything else either... they have a CONSCIOUS choice whether or not to take these stupid substances... it's like cheating...
__________________
"if everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking"
gwuMACaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 06:20 AM   #7
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3
 
Chip NoVaMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Yes, the athletes choose to take enhancement drugs. But it is the fans that should demand from the leagues and owners that athletes be held up as role models.
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 07:59 AM   #8
crenz
macrumors 6502a
 
crenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Shanghai, China
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwuMACaddict
i blame the athletes...

not the owners, not the fans, not the media, not the anything else either... they have a CONSCIOUS choice whether or not to take these stupid substances... it's like cheating...
Imagine you've been training to be a professonal athlete for years. Imagine that, after finally you managed to get some recognition and success, you are suddenly faced with the choice of either taking drugs like a lot of others, or stop competing because you don't stand a chance.

I blame the infrastructure.
crenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 08:18 AM   #9
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3
 
Chip NoVaMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crenz
Imagine you've been training to be a professonal athlete for years. Imagine that, after finally you managed to get some recognition and success, you are suddenly faced with the choice of either taking drugs like a lot of others, or stop competing because you don't stand a chance.

I blame the infrastructure.
You are right. Greed can make people do strange things. Even when there are health risks and legal risks.

We have as fans allowed a climate of greed for our own personal satisfaction. We have allowed the owners to raise prices to a game to a point that the average fan can't do. This on the backs of taxpayers in some cities with sweetheart stadium/arena deals (just ask the people of Phoenix). We continue to buy their logo products. We watch the games on TV, supporting the advertisers.
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 05:41 PM   #10
MrMacMan
macrumors 601
 
MrMacMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: 1 Block away from NYC.
Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac
The sports fans are as much to blame. They still support the teams with players that break the laws. Never understood how fans can be so behind players that get paid in one year, what they the fan might not even see in a lifetime.
Come on!

Give Darryl Strawberry one more chance!

I'm sure his third cocaine bust will be his last... what he broke out of rehab and this is another bust?

Nah, he is gonna beat it, he will not allow himself to be addicted again... --yankees fans 3 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwuMACaddict
i blame the athletes...

not the owners, not the fans, not the media, not the anything else either... they have a CONSCIOUS choice whether or not to take these stupid substances... it's like cheating...
Cheating is illegal?

Damn!! someone could have told me!
__________________
There is a little Steve in all of us!
-->Folding is Fighting Against Disease and help MacRumors. Join Today!<--
Props to --> Shadowfax For Making My Avatar!
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 06:39 PM   #11
AngryLawnGnome
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac
You are right. Greed can make people do strange things. Even when there are health risks and legal risks.

We have as fans allowed a climate of greed for our own personal satisfaction. We have allowed the owners to raise prices to a game to a point that the average fan can't do. This on the backs of taxpayers in some cities with sweetheart stadium/arena deals (just ask the people of Phoenix). We continue to buy their logo products. We watch the games on TV, supporting the advertisers.
IT IS NOT THE FANS FAULT. There is nothing wrong with watching the games. We shouldn't suddenly stop watching our favorite sports just because a few athletes took steroids, or because they make money off of it. There is a reason they do: we enjoy them. They make money off of things we like. Go figure! It's like how after finding out R. Kelly peed on a little girl the hip hop industry didn't collapse. People like the music, like people like sports.
AngryLawnGnome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 08:28 PM   #12
Awimoway
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: at the edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrylawngnome
IT IS NOT THE FANS FAULT. There is nothing wrong with watching the games. We shouldn't suddenly stop watching our favorite sports just because a few athletes took steroids, or because they make money off of it. There is a reason they do: we enjoy them. They make money off of things we like. Go figure! It's like how after finding out R. Kelly peed on a little girl the hip hop industry didn't collapse. People like the music, like people like sports.
Excellent points. But there is an interesting permutation where steroids are concerned. Do we secretly approve of athletes' use of steroids because we like to see the long ball? Aren't we actually glad that ball players are doing everything in their power to enhance their performance? After all, it's for our benfit. Sports are entertainment. The more steroids they use, the more entertaining the sport is.

I ask this rhetorically. Personally, I am disgusted by the idea that steroids are being used in baseball or any other sport. Because it will force everyone to use them in order to be competitive. And then baseball will be as unpleasant and tragic to watch as, say, boxing--you know their lives will worsened and shortened by what they are doing to "entertain" us. Furthermore, if we begin to approve of the use of such substances, they'll become common in college and high school, and I don't want to see my kids exposed to that.
__________________
Relax me, Amuse me, Teach me, Arouse me.
-- Carrie Heeter, "Ode to a Remote Control Device"
Awimoway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 08:37 PM   #13
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3
 
Chip NoVaMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrylawngnome
IT IS NOT THE FANS FAULT. There is nothing wrong with watching the games. We shouldn't suddenly stop watching our favorite sports just because a few athletes took steroids, or because they make money off of it. There is a reason they do: we enjoy them. They make money off of things we like. Go figure! It's like how after finding out R. Kelly peed on a little girl the hip hop industry didn't collapse. People like the music, like people like sports.
Maybe the hip-hop industry should have collapsed. What we are talking about is morals. And as long as we as fans or listeners or viewers, allow for actions to go unchecked we are headed towards a decay of society (as if we have stated down that road already).

By taking our money away from the owners they will see us not as lemmings to their already bloated wallets. That they may have been able to hide from the law of the land. They will make the changes needed to assure that in this case sports are drug free.

By most accounts, the sports stars are the role models for the youth. What message does it say when an athlete can take performance enhancing drugs and get away with it? Mark McGwire used steroids during his run in 1998, and swore off them in 1999. But his record still stands. A reference was made about Strawberry. They allowed him to play again? But yet there were people that wanted Clinton's head on a platter for a private personal matter, and its aftermath.

Just repeat after me, "greed is not good, greed is not good".
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 08:41 PM   #14
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3
 
Chip NoVaMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awimoway
Excellent points. But there is an interesting permutation where steroids are concerned. Do we secretly approve of athletes' use of steroids because we like to see the long ball? Aren't we actually glad that ball players are doing everything in their power to enhance their performance? After all, it's for our benfit. Sports are entertainment. The more steroids they use, the more entertaining the sport is.

I ask this rhetorically. Personally, I am disgusted by the idea that steroids are being used in baseball or any other sport. Because it will force everyone to use them in order to be competitive. And then baseball will be as unpleasant and tragic to watch as, say, boxing--you know their lives will worsened and shortened by what they are doing to "entertain" us. Furthermore, if we begin to approve of the use of such substances, they'll become common in college and high school, and I don't want to see my kids exposed to that.
You gave me a thought. Since these athletes want to ruin their lives, why not bring back the gladiators? Let them fight to the death. The winners get paid HUGE sums of money. And since they want to shorten their lives, why not help them and entertain ourselves?

Keep in mind I support what you are saying...
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 10:15 PM   #15
gwuMACaddict
macrumors 68040
 
gwuMACaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: washington dc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacman
Cheating is illegal?
did i say anything about it being illegal?

(no)

i just think it's stupid...
__________________
"if everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking"
gwuMACaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Olympic Athletes May Use iPhones Without Restriction During Opening Ceremony Says IOC MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 132 Feb 18, 2014 03:39 PM
Apple TV on steroids petalino Apple TV and Home Theater 5 May 5, 2013 07:33 PM
Office Chair on Carpet. christurbo Community Discussion 11 Feb 5, 2013 01:06 PM
Time to let athletes dope? niuniu Politics, Religion, Social Issues 53 Jun 19, 2012 05:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC