Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:46 AM   #1
sharifi14
macrumors member

Quick question - what's the difference between an 'app' and a 'program'?

People seem to use the words 'application' and 'program' interchangeably. What's the difference? Many thanks,
sharifi14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:48 AM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6

None

Woof, Woof - Dawg
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharifi14 View Post
People seem to use the words 'application' and 'program' interchangeably. What's the difference? Many thanks,
None in that context. There is a difference between a .app bundle and say a command line program in Mac OS X. A .app bundle is actually a folder containing both the executable and all the resources that the program requires. Where as a command line program or any non native program tend to be just the executable code itself.
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:40 PM   #4
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Technically there is no difference. However, Apple's official term is "application" and they seem to stick by it consistently. Microsoft doesn't appear to have a consistent nomenclature -- "program" is the term used most often in the Windows world, but I have also seen Microsoft use the term "application" in some places.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:45 PM   #5
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Besides the difference in parlance, as above, technically, program does describe a broader class of entities that contain executable code, including various programs that make up system processes, daemons, etc, that would rarely be called "applications," whereas the term "application" is almost always reserved for a program that interacts directly with the user in some way -- is run by the user, receives directions / commands from the user, has an interface, etc.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:08 PM   #6
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Well technically you are right, but I thought the OP was probably asking in the context of how the terms are used by Apple and Microsoft.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:45 PM   #7
Ramashalanka
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
Besides the difference in parlance, as above, technically, program does describe a broader class of entities that contain executable code, including various programs that make up system processes, daemons, etc, that would rarely be called "applications," whereas the term "application" is almost always reserved for a program that interacts directly with the user in some way -- is run by the user, receives directions / commands from the user, has an interface, etc.
I agree with this, and in addition, IMHO an application refers to something grander. If I write a little program, even if it has a few inputs, I wouldn't call it an application until it's useful to others and has some scale.
Ramashalanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 02:40 PM   #8
sharifi14
macrumors member

Many thanks for all your feedback - I now feel more enlightened! However, the following post hit the nail on the head:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
Well technically you are right, but I thought the OP was probably asking in the context of how the terms are used by Apple and Microsoft.
On Windows I've always called programs/applications 'programs' (mainly due to the 'All Programs' menu on the Start menu). But in a lot of Microsoft's promotional copy they talk about 'applications' and 'apps', which led me to think there was a fundamental difference.

It's probably just because Apple have made the word 'application' and 'app' quite cool, so Microsoft decided to follow suit. Thanks again,
sharifi14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 05:33 PM   #9
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
On Windows I've always called programs/applications 'programs' (mainly due to the 'All Programs' menu on the Start menu). But in a lot of Microsoft's promotional copy they talk about 'applications' and 'apps', which led me to think there was a fundamental difference.
Exactly. This is one of the differences between Apple and Microsoft. Apple at least makes an effort to be consistent.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Porco
macrumors 68000

One can be a verb, one can't!

I can program. I can't 'application'.

Seriously, I like 'application / app' better as a term, in most cases you can think of it as literally being the application of a program. The programmers program, and put that together with resources that the program uses (graphics etc), and the final thing is the application of that program.

That's just the way my head sees it though, not an official explanation.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 06:28 PM   #11
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
WinSucks = program
Apple Rules = application/app.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 06:08 AM   #12
PhilaScott
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to PhilaScott
Quote:
Many thanks for all your feedback - I now feel more enlightened!
I love this site! LOL
Geeks just know how to get in the weeds SO quickly!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store