Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 4, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
shootingstar64
macrumors regular

New MBA & LCD Cinema Display 24" when does your fan chime in?

.... as stated above,... when you have your MBA connected to the new LCD Cinema Display 24" and the lid closed,... which apps do you run and when does the fan chimes in?

I do some Safari, observing my Mac Pro in the Office via Screen Sharing and watching TV running EyeTV.

iStat tells me tmp is 65 up to 67 and the fan runs about 6184rpm

(fan is absolutely audible,...)

How´s about yours?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:34 PM   #2
justit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingstar64 View Post

How´s about yours?
In general, even though 65(C?) doesn't deserve 6100rpm, they kick in if the temps climb fast. In your case it seems the USB is getting hot from EyeTV.

Is it constant or does it eventually climb down?
justit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:45 PM   #3
umgoblue2008
macrumors regular

my fans come on anytime i am watching a video or a stream (youtube, etc)
umgoblue2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 09:25 AM   #4
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
+1 ^^^ Yup, anytime I'm watching streaming video, ripping a DVD, and watching youtube during a powerpoint presentation...
Old Jan 9, 2009, 04:17 AM   #5
pstoehr
macrumors member

Hi *,

I'm going to replace my old PowerBook G4 by something new, maybe a MBA with the new 24" Cinema Display.

Will the fans start to make some noise while doing "normal" stuff with the MBA, for example using office applications (Word, pages, ...) and doing some programming with xcode?

Thanks for an answer
Peter
pstoehr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:23 AM   #6
umgoblue2008
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstoehr View Post
Hi *,

I'm going to replace my old PowerBook G4 by something new, maybe a MBA with the new 24" Cinema Display.

Will the fans start to make some noise while doing "normal" stuff with the MBA, for example using office applications (Word, pages, ...) and doing some programming with xcode?

Thanks for an answer
Peter
Usually it doesn't kick in with word/powerpoint/web browsing, unless there is video involved. I don't do any programming so not sure with that.

Another thing, having a laptop stand that exposes the vents will help with the fan noise, as currently I have a griffin elevator. It beats having the laptop sit on a table.
umgoblue2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air