Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:16 AM   #1
hudsora
macrumors member

Keyboard and Mouse Not Working

I am running 10.5.6 and I was trying to Jailbreak my iPod so I switched out the IOUSBFamily.kext file for the old one. Well that didn't work. and when I restarted the machine I no longer had mouse or keyboard. So I booted up with BootCamp and used MacDrive to enter my disk. From there I copied the backup files of IOUSBFamily.kext into the extentions folder.

I then tried to boot back up, but the mouse and keyboard still don't work.

So I believe that the permissions on the IOUSBFamily.kext are incorrect. So I am wondering how can I switch the permissions to 755 with Bootcamp?

Thanks a lot for the help, I might be wrong about the permissions being the problem so if you have any other ideas, I will gladly consider them!

-Hudsora
Scott Hudson Photography
hudsora is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 09:39 AM   #2
iJimmy
macrumors regular

I had the same problem yesterday. I'm not sure if it's the only way but I resolve this by reformatting the hard drive. There may be another solution out there.

But if you have an external 2.5" hard drive (I used a WD Passport) and a Time Machine back up, then you're good to go.

Here's the steps that I took:
1: Take apart your WD Passport to use as a startup disc (you do not need to format the drive). Disconnect the usb adapter from the drive.
2: Replace your internal hd with the passport hd (again there is no need to reformat the drive). Then connect the usb adapter to your original internal hd.
3: Boot your mac and insert your Mac OS X Install disc 1.
4: When they ask you what hd you want to install Mac OS X, connect your external hd to the usb port.
5: Go to Utilities on the Menu Bar then select Disk Utility. Reformat your original internal hd.
6: Exit Installer and shut down your mac.
7: Swap out the hd again.
8: While booting your mac hold the eject button. When your disc ejects, wait a few seconds then insert it back in.
9: Install OS X and if you have a Time Machine... I'm sure there's no instruction needed for that.

That's how I resolved (resolving) this problem. Goodluck. If you have any questions let me know. Again there may be another solution. But this worked for me.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:06 AM   #3
hudsora
macrumors member

Thanks for the help,
I just decided to use my TimeMachine Backups and reinstalled from that. It sounds like that is what you did as well.

But again thanks for the help!

-Hudsora
Scott Hudson Photography
hudsora is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro