Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aG1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Cali
First of all, I just purchased a 2.16GHz Core Duo MBP on eBay, and it still has AppleCare till May 09. I just had a few questions.

1)Before I go to the Apple Store, do I need to do anything or is the AppleCare automatically transfered to me?

2) There are little brown marks in the LCD, are covered under AppleCare? They are like little brown marks that look like dirt but won't come off when trying to clean.

3) Under the keyboard it started chipping. Is that covered under AppleCare?

Thank You

Attachments

• web-1.jpg
    web-1.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 104

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Applecare is attached to the device, not the original purchaser.

The brown marks might not be covered just because they can claim that as LCD damage by user. Who knows...you might get lucky...

Is it chipping or wearing off because of use? If chipping then it's possible they might replace the top case...

aG1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Cali
I'm not sure if it's chipping or wearing off but it just keeps coming off. When I scratch it a bit it comes off.

Anyone know anything else about the display?

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
First of all, I just purchased a 2.16GHz Core Duo MBP on eBay, and it still has AppleCare till May 09. I just had a few questions.

1)Before I go to the Apple Store, do I need to do anything or is the AppleCare automatically transfered to me?

2) There are little brown marks in the LCD, are covered under AppleCare? They are like little brown marks that look like dirt but won't come off when trying to clean.

3) Under the keyboard it started chipping. Is that covered under AppleCare?

Thank You

1) You dont need to take anything, as said previously applecare is tied to the machine

2) Those little brown marks, thats dust behind the LCD, apple will give you a new lcd screen

3) This chipping below the keyboard is common, Apple dont fix it, its general user wear and tear.

aG1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Cali
Ok, thank you guys for all your help.

I guess I'll set up an appointment pretty soon.

lemondropchick

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
Northern California
When we bought a used iMac last year, we had to transfer the AppleCare plan to our name.

Taken from AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions:
"6. Transfer of Plan
You may transfer this Plan to a new owner of the Covered Equipment by sending, faxing or emailing
notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217AC, 2511 Laguna
Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-399-7337 or agmts_transfer@apple.com,
respectively. You must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers of the Covered
Equipment being transferred, proof of purchase of the Plan, and the name, address, telephone
number and email address of the new owner."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.