Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Start with an old SE.
DSC_8292.JPG

Get rid of the interior bits.
DSC_8300.JPG

Cut the top off.
DSC_8318.JPG

Paint it.
DSC_8324.JPG

That was fun, now do some more.
DSC_8356.JPG

Hackity hackity.
DSC_8368.JPG

Paint them too!
DSC_8369.JPG

Now what?
DSC_8396.JPG

Put plants in them.
DSC_8397.JPG

They live!
DSC_7785_001.JPG

Well, that's what I did with my weekend. :)

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
where did you get all of those?
In the early to mid 90s, I ran the service department for an Apple store and picked up quite a few that were abandoned there. Then in the late 90s and into 2000 I bought a whole lot of them on eBay. I think I've had over 100 total over the years.

This dozen I did over the weekend is the end of my supply. No more.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
well, i'm always thinking about getting an old Mac plus and put a Mac Mini in there with a LCD panel and a Huge HD and use it as a retro style Media center for Itunes.

If I just had the time.

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
OH man I really need two planters for my apartment. if I can only find a g3 or se like this to do that with I'm there in a heartbeat

thanks for the inspiration

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Here's my parting shot for this project. I completed the baker's dozen of new planters and then turned around and refurbished the dozen I already had. Now all of them are nice and fresh and clean with new pictures from this past year.

Group shot. A few of these are leaving for new homes, so this is the last time to get a pic of this many.
DSC_8474.JPG

And here's an OMGHUGE version of the same, in case anyone is interested in the details.

http://techquarium.com/gallery2z/d/28679-1/DSC_8474.JPG

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
What I loved more than the pictures or the concept was your captions!

Also, the orange one looks fantastic!

Very cool post. :) Nice work!

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Coming next (although probably not soon) - conversions for a Performa 5xx, a pair of 1st gen iMacs, and a pair of Lisas.

I've also got an old Dell laptop that I started long ago to convert to an ant farm that I'd like to finish someday. Oh, and also a giant Gateway 2000 tower that I want to turn into a trash can.

Stay tuned!

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Coming next (although probably not soon) - conversions for a Performa 5xx, a pair of 1st gen iMacs, and a pair of Lisas.

I've also got an old Dell laptop that I started long ago to convert to an ant farm that I'd like to finish someday. Oh, and also a giant Gateway 2000 tower that I want to turn into a trash can.

Stay tuned!

Keep atleast one LISA !!!!!!!!!!! If not im goingto have to kill u

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is very awesome! And I agree ... rip 'em all up and use them for something else!

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Threadsurection Warning!

I didn't think these new pics warranted their own new thread, so I'm reviving my old thread instead.

I've recently dug my airbrushes out of storage. After a 6 year vacation from them, I'm playing around and got some practice in on a couple of my planters. I thought they came out pretty good considering I'm not much of an artist and don't know a lot about airbrushing.

I picked out one whose color I didn't really like and splotched on some color.
DSC_1160.jpg

Then I used a brush and filled in some details.
DSC_1161.jpg

Next back to the airbrush and add shading and highlights.
DSC_1167.jpg

And it's back in service on the lanai. The camera flash brought out the white shading way more than it appears in natural light. I was pretty happy with it.
DSC_1171.jpg

Then I picked up a black planter and started painting. Here is the finished result.
DSC_1174.jpg

Other side.
DSC_1173.jpg

Back to work.
DSC_1177.jpg

It was really a lot of fun and I've got about 18 of these planters left so I'm sure there will be a couple more every weekend for the next few weeks. :)

...later!...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.