Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:58 AM   #1
Scott6666
macrumors 65816

Giving apps to another person

Is there a way to give some of my apps to another person.

I have a bunch of apps on my iPhone that were primarily for my daughter's amusement. She got a iTouch over Christmas. Is there a way for me to "give" those apps to her? She has her own iTunes account and does not want me to authorize my account over hers. Can I just copies some files to her iTunes?
Scott6666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:03 PM   #2
brand
macrumors 68040

The apps have Digital Rights Management so you are out of luck.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:06 PM   #3
kornyboy
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I tried to figure out a way to do this with and, unfortunately, I don't think that it can be done. The Apps are tied to an iTunes account and only 1 iTunes account can be tied to each iPhone or iPod Touch. I could be wrong but that is the way that I understand it to work.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Night Spring
macrumors G3

I've heard that you can have apps from mulitple iTunes account on an iPhone/Touch, but you have to sync them from the same computer. If you and your daughter are using different computers, I don't think this will work. I'd try contacting Apple customer service and see if they'll let you transfer the apps from one account to another.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:40 PM   #5
JoeCo0611
macrumors member

It can be done, though it requires some steps, the use of an authorization slot and possible knowledge of each others login & password.

My friend and I know each others login and password, so if we want an app that one of us purchased, we can just transfer it between computers or log in under their name to download it. Make sure you log back in under your name, then you can sync. I have never had trouble syncing his apps to my iphone. It only requires his login info when I want to update the app.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:40 PM   #6
davidjtaylor07
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornyboy View Post
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I tried to figure out a way to do this with and, unfortunately, I don't think that it can be done. The Apps are tied to an iTunes account and only 1 iTunes account can be tied to each iPhone or iPod Touch. I could be wrong but that is the way that I understand it to work.
i have 2 iphones and each one is synced through 1 computer, using the same account. cant think of another way as apps have protection.
davidjtaylor07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Nermal

Doesn't the US have a law ("first sale doctrine", I think) that allows you to resell anything that you legally purchased?
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:53 PM   #8
M0bile
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCo0611 View Post
It can be done, though it requires some steps, the use of an authorization slot and possible knowledge of each others login & password.

My friend and I know each others login and password, so if we want an app that one of us purchased, we can just transfer it between computers or log in under their name to download it. Make sure you log back in under your name, then you can sync. I have never had trouble syncing his apps to my iphone. It only requires his login info when I want to update the app.
I've done this also with file transfer through AIM/iChat and knowing (with permission) the other person's iTunes store login/password. Works fine.
M0bile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:02 PM   #9
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Doesn't the US have a law ("first sale doctrine", I think) that allows you to resell anything that you legally purchased?
I think they are hiding behind the charade that you don't purchase any software, you just get a limited license to use it. I think this is the idea behind all those terms of service agreements with any piece of software.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:20 PM   #10
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
I think they are hiding behind the charade that you don't purchase any software, you just get a limited license to use it. I think this is the idea behind all those terms of service agreements with any piece of software.
You're right, intellectual property rights don't really work like that, even though they should. It's not like a car, where you can't physically retain functionality of it after you've sold it, but you can buy Program X, install, then sell the disc. I think that's the main problem that THE MAN has with re-selling software.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:31 PM   #11
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
I remember a while back (2007 or maybe early 08), Autodesk tried to sue someone for reselling used copies of AutoCAD (the AutoCAD licence says that you can't). The court ruled that the reseller was doing nothing wrong. I'll see whether I can find a link to that article.

Edit: Not the best link, but it'll do.
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:45 PM   #12
jsquared
macrumors 6502

I tried doing this last night with my gf's iPhone on my computer and mine on her Mac.

I plugged my iPhone into her Mac and her iTunes recognized my phone. She has the Tetris app that I want. So I click the box "Only Sync selected Music and Videos," went to the Apps tab and choose the apps I wanted. It gave me a warning. Something along the lines of all my apps would be deleted in order to sync OR I could transfer my apps to her iTunes. So I transferred all my apps, synced my phone and I had Tetris and all my apps. We did the same for her phone to my computer and it worked the same.

Both times it never asked for and iTunes account or password.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone