Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Norenester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
I have a program that can find duplicate files. What my questions is if I get an email from someone and then I forward it to someone now I have a duplicate one in my inbox and another in my sent. If I delete the one in my sent then when I open it the attachment will not show. Is there a way for it to just store the file once and then create an alias pointing to the main file.

Another example: If I attach a photo from iPhoto to an email there again is another duplicate. I would much rather Mail send the photo and create an alias to the original photo in iPhoto thus creating no duplicates.

I hope that was not confusing.

I want a program that will find duplicates and then keep 1 and create alias's for the one's deleted.

I know this is not all cases of duplicate files but mainly my Mail has way to many duplicates.

Thanks for any help. I am using File Buddy 9 to find duplicate and empty files or folders.

Also is it bad to delete empty files? There are tons in the system folder.

Michael84

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
I have a program that can find duplicate files. What my questions is if I get an email from someone and then I forward it to someone now I have a duplicate one in my inbox and another in my sent. If I delete the one in my sent then when I open it the attachment will not show. Is there a way for it to just store the file once and then create an alias pointing to the main file.

Another example: If I attach a photo from iPhoto to an email there again is another duplicate. I would much rather Mail send the photo and create an alias to the original photo in iPhoto thus creating no duplicates.

I hope that was not confusing.

I want a program that will find duplicates and then keep 1 and create alias's for the one's deleted.

I know this is not all cases of duplicate files but mainly my Mail has way to many duplicates.

Thanks for any help. I am using File Buddy 9 to find duplicate and empty files or folders.

Also is it bad to delete empty files? There are tons in the system folder.
Well, Norenester, your story with the emails and attachments is interesting and I can't tell for sure if it will work but I would recommend you try this duplicate file removal soft. Hope it'll be useful...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.