Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I'm looking to get a little camcorder (something like the Flip Mino HD or Kodak Zi6). I plan to do the editing in iMovie 09.

One of the differences between a few of the cameras is 30FPS vs 60FPS, but I have read that iMovie cannot handle 60FPS. Also, I have read that it doesn't support resolutions of 720P.

Can anyone comment on this (for iMovie 08 or 09)? I don't want to waste my time searching for the 'right' camera if iMovie can't take advantage of the camera's, well, advantages...

Thanks!

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
i would like to know this too as i've just purchased a zi6 and thought that i would take advantage of imovie 09's image stabilization features . .

If it doesn't support HD @ 720p then i may as well stick to imovie hd

filman408

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
San Jose, CA
iMovie '08+ is resolution independent.
It can handle any resolution and you can export to any format via the Quicktime exporter.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
i would like to know this too as i've just purchased a zi6 and thought that i would take advantage of imovie 09's image stabilization features . .

If it doesn't support HD @ 720p then i may as well stick to imovie hd

iMovie 08 will export in 720p I do not see why 09 will not. Here are all the options of exports you can do in 08 via QuickTime:

Attachments

• hd.gif
    hd.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 152

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I don't understand why everyone thinks iMovie 08/09 don't support HD. iMovie HD is called that becasue it was the first to support HD, not because it is the only version to do so. Apple doesn't do a good job of this onthe site, but the iMovie 08 manual (in the support section) clearly talks about importing video up to 1080i.

As for the 60fps that the OP is asking about, it would appear that for now it is not supported in iMovie. But it could be supported later. The Flip codec was not originally supported by iMovie 08 but they added that in a later update.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Thanks for the posts - as for the resolution question, I am getting my info from this review (which may or may not be right...): http://www.lawrenceingraham.com/kodak-zi6-review-by-a-normal-mac-user/

Excerpt:
"If you’re interested in making a little edit of your clips, you can fire up iMovie and it’ll see your clips at launch and start making thumbnails out of them. Again, since it’s already in h.264 format, there’s no importing and converting required. However, iMovie is limited to 960×540 exporting, so your 720p video will be scaled down to 540p."

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the posts - as for the resolution question, I am getting my info from this review (which may or may not be right...): http://www.lawrenceingraham.com/kodak-zi6-review-by-a-normal-mac-user/

Excerpt:
"If you’re interested in making a little edit of your clips, you can fire up iMovie and it’ll see your clips at launch and start making thumbnails out of them. Again, since it’s already in h.264 format, there’s no importing and converting required. However, iMovie is limited to 960×540 exporting, so your 720p video will be scaled down to 540p."

Yep thats clearly wrong. Those are the options from using the pre-set exports (right above the quicktime export) in iMovie.

Attachments

• export.jpg
    export.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 5,074

dusko

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
Please guys or you martin, how you can even think that iMovie 08/09 don't support HD. It is resolution independent and this guy Lawrence Ingraham don't now what he's talking about.
As for the 60 fps question, normally you can't export it from iMovie BUT somebody's think of it also so here's the workflow how to do it.

1. Import file from the FILE>IMPORT menu ( not from camera )
2. Edit the movie
3. Save it and QUIT iMovie
4. Open iMovie preference file with PlistEditPro which is shareware or Property List Editor which is part OSX Developer Tools and change VIDEO FRAME RATE to 60. SAVE it and QUIT.
5. Again open your saved iMovie project and export it however you want with working 60 fps.

If you want to check how many frames you have in video just open it in Quicktime and hit right arrow 60 times. Movie inspector current time should show 1 second.

Hope I help. Enjoy! :)

dstuck

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
HD back to camera?

Hi,
I have a Canon HV20 and while imovie '08 could import it (1080i), I could never find a way to save the finished movie back to the camera in 1080i. I save the finished projects back to tape until BlueRay burners are available at a reasonable cost. imovie HD had the option to export back to camera. I have played with the various Quicktime settings and I was never able to get image quality that matched what I got with imovie HD. Apple did not have any suggestions for me either. Mostly issues during motion, like a slight ghost trail or a horizontal line shifts (interlace issues?). Those same ghost issues were there when I exported to iDVD too. Also, you could not find a way to add precision chapter markers in imovie 08. Please let me know if you found a way to get 1080i back to the camera or how remove the ghosts. I sure hope that imovie 09 addressed these issues.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Hi,
I have a Canon HV20 and while imovie '08 could import it (1080i), I could never find a way to save the finished movie back to the camera in 1080i. I save the finished projects back to tape until BlueRay burners are available at a reasonable cost. imovie HD had the option to export back to camera. I have played with the various Quicktime settings and I was never able to get image quality that matched what I got with imovie HD. Apple did not have any suggestions for me either. Mostly issues during motion, like a slight ghost trail or a horizontal line shifts (interlace issues?). Those same ghost issues were there when I exported to iDVD too. Also, you could not find a way to add precision chapter markers in imovie 08. Please let me know if you found a way to get 1080i back to the camera or how remove the ghosts. I sure hope that imovie 09 addressed these issues.

Dont know about the export to tape - iMovie 6/HD or FCE will if you have a copy.

According to a poster on Apple's pre-release forum the Jello artifact is due to your camera (which according to canons site is a CMOS model):

"The one thing it cannot correct is the 'jello' artifact that most CMOS cameras introduce when the subject matter is moving. CCD cameras do not have this problem. "

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1856631&tstart=30

chugachpowder

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
How about this question regarding fps:
If my camera can record in 24 cinema mode will iMovie keep it at this frame rate for editing?

Also I am thinking about getting a camera that will record at 60fps for sports. This way I theoretically can play it back at 30fps and get a half speed shot that is much smoother than 30fps slowed down to 15. Does any one know how to do this in iMovie, or possibly convert footage outside of iMovie to a 30fps/half-speed clip?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.