Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's announcement that they will no longer participate in future Macworld Expos has cast some doubts on the ongoing viability of the show. The Daily Geek reports that some Macworld vendors are not planing on returning in 2010, while others are taking a wait and see approach. In fact, the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is taking advantage of the situation by trying to recruit Macworld exhibitors and promising that they will have a Mac area next year:
"CES told me they're having a Mac centric area next year," said David Polzine, the product manager for SmithMicro Software who was approached by a salesman at Macworld. "If it all moved to CES, that would work better for us."
While some vendors seem to welcome the shift to CES, many attendees we spoke to felt that CES would be a poor substitute to Macworld. Unlike Macworld, CES is a trade show tailored to industry employees and not accessible to the general public.

The Macworld Expo organizers are aware of these issues and held a town meeting addressing the future of the show. Ars Technica reported on the meeting and reveals that IDG is well aware of the unique community aspect of Macworld as compared to other trade shows and is trying to build on that strength.
"This is a different place" than the typical trade show, Kent explained. "We understand and embrace this community, and we want this community to have a say in the conference." IDG has set up a new site, macworldexpo.ning.com , where both attendees and visitors are encouraged to register, get to know each other, and provide feedback and new ideas for helping the show to continue and grow.
Plans for Macworld Expo 2010 are well underway and over 60 vendors are said to have committed to the show. IDG will be leverging some familiar faces in the Mac community for the next show. The NYTimes' David Pogue is slated to give "Anti-Keynote" for the event, while Daring Fireball's John Gruber will be hosting a session of noteworthy discussions in the Mac community.

Article Link: The Future of Macworld Expo, Exhibitors Approached by CES

Dejavu

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
I plan to attend CES next year, and not Macworld. Maybe that's saying something...

Register to CES before Nov.1 for free attendance, otherwise the cost to attend is $100, or $200 at the door.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
I would have attended a MacWorld just to see SJ give the keynote.
Now that Apple have completely pulled, I dont see the point in the whole event.

Shiner

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I plan to attend CES next year, and not Macworld. Maybe that's saying something...

Register to CES before Nov.1 for free attendance, otherwise the cost to attend is $100, or $200 at the door.

I completely agree with you. I told my wife, apple pulled out of Macworld next year and she looked at me funny and asked "then what are they going to call it?". Third party world...

Macworld is over, let it go with some dignity. I left my heart in San Francisco!

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Yeah...i mean just look at the tv and newspapers....most people think macworld is only one day - Tuesday...when apple gives their speech. The media and journalists are who turn macworld into the huge event that it was...no media will go next year since there is no point for them to be there.

I think organizers should:
1) Completely downsize...save on costs...attendance goals should be cut by 2/3..even more...
2) appeal to people like Leo Laporte(sp) and stuff...these people can pull a few followers (maybe not from the east coast)...
3) make it educational event (2 days) ....market it to consumers..not businesses and vendors...

Will people from East Coast make the treck out there? probably not...

Organizers are up against a tough spot with this....

Jeff_R

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2003
If next year's Macworld is going to be anything like this year's Macworld, I'll pass on next year. It was just a ho-hum event, nothing earth-shattering, nothing "must have".

I would have liked to have been able to attend a SteveNote in the 5 years I went to MacWorld, but oh well, it's gone now.

As mentioned above, a user-centric event, at a significant lower cost, would be great. I was actually thinking when leaving Macworld on Tuesday that, similar to Apple's WWDC, they should consider some type of World Wide Users Conference. Center on Apple and their products, but catered to the users.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Now, if it had been called iPhoneWorld Apple might have stayed.

iPhone/ipod touch app conference

AAC 2011 Apple App Conference ..cheesy i know

$200 entrance fee....
each person gets a $100 gift card that they need to spend at the conference on apps...(that way developers know there will be money spent...)

you can have venture capitalists come...talk to developers...consumer workshops....gaming parties....

maybe in a few years??? i think its a better idea than what macworld will look like if its kept the same way as this year..in 2010..

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
There's certainly a fun community feel to Macworld that might not translate to CES. Also, having actual mac fans and users attending is a large portion. I mean, having a MacRumors meetup or other website meetup just isn't going to easily happy at CES.

I'm hoping they can pull off MWSF 2010. I'll attend if it happens.

Think leveraging Mac-community celebrities is the way to go. Pogue, Gruber. Basically anyone in the Mac community that has a following. In some ways, it could be a great show, though will certainly be different than it currently is.

arn

RexTraverse

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
I could see Macworld losing appeal with people coming from far away or who really only care about visiting the Apple booth. But, I still enjoyed the show this year. It was still lots of fun, still informative, and its still the biggest opportunity for non-industry Mac fans to get together. Unless CES is planning on pulling an E3 and start letting the general public in, it can't take the place of Macworld. Plus the announcement that David Pogue is gonna give the anti-Keynote next year will keep me onboard with Macworld for at least the next year.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
There's certainly a fun community feel to Macworld that might not translate to CES. Also, having actual mac fans and users attending is a large portion. I mean, having a MacRumors meetup or other website meetup just isn't going to easily happy at CES.

Think leveraging Mac-community celebrities is the way to go. Pogue, Gruber. Basically anyone in the Mac community that has a following. In some ways, it could be a great show, though will certainly be different than it currently is.

arn

Agreed, my interest in CES is the gadgets and only the gadgets. My interest in Macworld is what people have to say.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
"Something was definitely NOT in the Air" at this year's MWSF '09! I wandered aimlessly at times and the crowds just weren't there either. I agree with previous posters that maybe a downsize of expected turnout, registration of vendors and expo goers. The media certainly helps the expo, but the lack of presence throughout the event takes away from the credibility of IDG's claim to understand the unique community aspect of Macworld. Sure, the media can do 1-3 minutes bites, but their audience can only take repeat bites of the same feed that they took on Tuesday morning. So yes, CES = +1 for me as well (but I'm hoping Macworld can still happen in 2010)...

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow

arn

I second this.

Although i've never been to one, primarily because I am a recent switcher, after seeing this years Macworld event - I did indeed 'drool'. Personally, I think what attracts me is the whole 'community' aspect to the show. I can't see the same happening at CES.

I also agree in that celebrities should attend and hopefully this could give them more attention.

Just my 2 pence worth.

haaz

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2003
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
A less expensive show?

I remember exhibiting a few times with LinuxPPC at Macworld SF and NY from 1999 to 2001. Cripes, was it expensive! For a low-budget company like LinuxPPC ("hi, we make free software") it was hard to pull off and have much money left over, but we did it. I felt it was worth it just from a purely human angle. And the chance to tweak Apple and Microsoft on the nose in one fell swoop was always worth it. (This was pre-OS X, mind you; I'm typing this on a MacBook running OS X 10.5, and I'm very happy with it.)

One advantage I can see from Apple's perspective is that they no longer have to be tied to the January show dates for their big introductions. How many (beautiful) working prototypes did we see? I suppose that helps feed the desire for the latest gizmo, but still, it's a constraint I'm surprised His Steveiness put up with. But it did exist well prior to his return to Apple in '97.

My wife argues that the trade show is a dying medium. She was a trade magazine editor, and believes that the Internets have slowly drained the blood from the trade show. Why wait for a trade show when you can roll out your products and marvelous concepts when you want to, as you can do online? Just a thought.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Maybe MacWorld should put on a series of smaller, cheaper mini-Expos, all around the country (or world). Focusing on the community aspect, and the opportunity to connect with other Apple users and developers. Smaller companies could be present due to the lower cost, and if some big names chose to attend some of the mini-Expos, that's great too. Maybe one Expo a month, far smaller than now, with exhibits for a day or three, maybe special events/speakers, but no need for keynotes from anyone. Local Apple stores could have a presence or not.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I certainly hope they do another expo next year. There's an increasing demand for Mac apps and accessories right now, and the single-minded (it focuses mainly on Macs) aspect of the show seems beneficial to the growing industry, with or without Apple.

Kevin Nelson

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2004
I don't get it...

Why is there no speculation that Apple is ditching Macworld in favor of prime placement at CES? You would think that with all the media coverage and attention that has grown over the years that Apple would rather play in the same arena with all the other big boys. Given Apples dramatic resurgence in interest in the last 5 years or more, perhaps CES has offered them something they cannot pass up!
Just a guess on my part, but I am surprised that no one else has offered this and only choose to focus on Steve's health.

PruneTracy

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
San Francisco, CA
You know, I've only been to two Macworld Expos, and you know, i'm sure I'll get hated for this, but Apple didn't have THAT huge of a presence there either time. Granted, I didn't spend the money to see the keynote, but I don't think most people do. Appleless Macworld will be something to get used to, but it is far from over. It's only over if we think it is :apple:

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Why is there no speculation that Apple is ditching Macworld in favor of prime placement at CES? You would think that with all the media coverage and attention that has grown over the years that Apple would rather play in the same arena with all the other big boys. Given Apples dramatic resurgence in interest in the last 5 years or more, perhaps CES has offered them something they cannot pass up!
Just a guess on my part, but I am surprised that no one else has offered this and only choose to focus on Steve's health.

You must be new to apple (no offense). Apple likes to control everything...think back to their event introducing new macbooks and ipods...those are what you will see...and those events got more press coverage than apple would ever get at any CES or similar trade show...There is no good reason why Apple would present at CES. Also, CES is usually MSFT's version of Macworld.

The press will be invited to Cupertino and other events around the San Fran valley a few times over the next few years...

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I hope that companies don't move to the CES next year. That would really hurt MacWorld a lot. They have already been hurt by Apple deciding to leave and don't need developers to do the same.

Mabye Apple could allow 3rd party developers to show off new products at their own keynotes or confrences in the future. That might be another reason why they left macworld.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
I think it's important to reiterate that CES is not open to the general public like Macworld is. You need to work in the consumer electronics industry or be a journalist to attend. For that very reason I hope that MWSF can survive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.