Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

10smom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
USA
Is it worth paying the extra for the SSD if you can afford it?

is it good enough to just get the 8gb of ram?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
What's the laptop for? I'm a little surprised that you need to ask these questions if you're going to spend that much money on a laptop. :eek:

10smom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
USA
I am just asking in general. but I do want to get the 8 gb ram. I have cs 4 for web development. It would be nice to have application open and not notice a difference in processing. I also do some video production and have access finale cut suites. But not sure if SSD is worth it yet?

I am just not that up on SSD. Is it that much better to have then just HDD with 8gb ram if can afford it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I am just asking in general. but I do want to get the 8 gb ram. I hav cs 4 for web development. It would b nice to have application open and not notice a difference in processing. I also do some video production and have access finale cut suites. But not sure if SSD is worth it yet?

I am just not that up on SSD. Is it that much better to have then just HDD with 8gb ram if can afford it.
The RAM is worth it if you can afford it. Not so much on the SSD.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well CS4 is only 32-bit on the Mac, so you can't use more than 3GB of RAM.

Now if you're going to have Final Cut and CS4 open at the same time, I guess you could use it; however I think if you did that, you may lack processing power.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
it is hard to say because various benchmarks done in the past shows wildly different results, but that was because the operating system (windows) wasn't optimized.

do a search for SSD in the hackintosh macbook nanos. people use ssd with leopard in the eee pc and dell mini.

when would you ever be in an environment (and using the mbp at the same time) where you would benefit from the anti-shock.

also, the mac start up times are so quick, it wouldn't be that big of a difference, in my opinion.

besides, since the hdd is not easily upgradable, it might be worth it to go for the max size instead of ssd

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well CS4 is only 32-bit on the Mac, so you can't use more than 3GB of RAM.

Now if you're going to have Final Cut and CS4 open at the same time, I guess you could use it; however I think if you did that, you may lack processing power.
I'm not terribly experienced with the 32-bit version of CS4 on OS X but won't it use the remaining RAM as scratch space before hard disk space?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.