Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Im thinking about buying a macbook pro. Its a option.

I want to buy a laptop that can watch bluray dvd's.

Can a macbook pro play bluray dvd's?

Also, any reasons why I should go with a macbook pro other than a regular laptop would be appreciated.

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego
Im thinking about buying a macbook pro. Its a option.

I want to buy a laptop that can watch bluray dvd's.

Can a macbook pro play bluray dvd's?

Also, any reasons why I should go with a macbook pro other than a regular laptop would be appreciated.

No macs currently have Bluray players installed, so no. Regular DVDs yes.

Second question: What do you need the macbook (pro) for? Is it programming, video editing, photo editing, lots of application use, or regular light use such as internet / word processing / occasional game such as WoW here and there, etc. If you are the latter, then get a Macbook, otherwise if you need a power horse, then get a Macbook Pro.

Patel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
No macs currently have Bluray players installed, so no. Regular DVDs yes.

Second question: What do you need the macbook (pro) for? Is it programming, video editing, photo editing, lots of application use, or regular light use such as internet / word processing / occasional game such as WoW here and there, etc. If you are the latter, then get a Macbook, otherwise if you need a power horse, then get a Macbook Pro.

Well, I plan on getting one for college. I am mostly going to use it for gaming, lots of application use, and just browsing the internet.

I am planning on starting a small business in the near future, so I want something that will benefit me in that area also.

A macbook pro seems like a good choice for everything else im gonna be doing besides watching bluray, but there are other laptops that will be alot less expensive to buy.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Well, I plan on getting one for college. I am mostly going to use it for gaming, lots of application use, and just browsing the internet.

I am planning on starting a small business in the near future, so I want something that will benefit me in that area also.

A macbook pro seems like a good choice, but there are other laptops that will be alot less expensive to buy.

Again, if you need to watch Blu-ray movies on your computer, you won't be buying a Mac.

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego

A macbook pro seems like a good choice for everything else im gonna be doing besides watching bluray, but there are other laptops that will be alot less expensive to buy.

Well minus the gaming, a Macbook Pro would be overkill for what you need to do, and even then depending on the games a Macbook just might be fine for you. The new aluminum Macbooks are better with graphics than the plastic ones are. If Bluray is still a high priority, I'd stick to a different computer, but for what it sounds like you need, a Macbook would be fine... minus the bluray.

Patel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Ok.

Well thanks for the bluray answer. That gets one question out of the way

So I guess im looking for opinions when I ask this. But, would you recommend me to buy a macbook or a laptop? and why or why not?

I plan on getting one for college. I am mostly going to use it for gaming, lots of application use, and just browsing the internet.

again, thanks for the answers. really appreciate it

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego
Ok.

Well thanks for the bluray answer. That gets one question out of the way

So I guess im looking for opinions when I ask this. But, would you recommend me to buy a macbook or a laptop? and why or why not?

I plan on getting one for college. I am mostly going to use it for gaming, lots of application use, and just browsing the internet.

again, thanks for the answers. really appreciate it

Did you read my last response? Are you asking about a macbook vs a macbook pro vs a non mac laptop or are you asking about a macbook vs a non mac laptop? If it's the latter, than I would recommend a Macbook. It's priced pretty accordingly compared to other computers with the exact same hardware and specs. If you don't need the hardware then I would just recommend getting a cheaper non mac laptop.

Patel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Did you read my last response? Are you asking about a macbook vs a macbook pro vs a non mac laptop or are you asking about a macbook vs a non mac laptop? If it's the latter, than I would recommend a Macbook. It's priced pretty accordingly compared to other computers with the exact same hardware and specs. If you don't need the hardware then I would just recommend getting a cheaper non mac laptop.

Yeah I read your last post, thanks. I was asking about a macbook in general. Im convincing myself I dont really have use for a macbook pro, a macbook would be probably be the better choice for me. I just cant decide over a laptop or macbook.

I love the fact how I dont have to worry about virus' or spyware of any kind on a mac. Its peace of mind when your browsing the internet on sites that normally have lots of popups/spyware/adware.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
Yeah I read your last post, thanks. I was asking about a macbook in general. Im convincing myself I dont really have use for a macbook pro, a macbook would be probably be the better choice for me. I just cant decide over a laptop or macbook.

I love the fact how I dont have to worry about virus' or spyware of any kind on a mac. Its peace of mind when your browsing the internet on sites that normally have lots of popups/spyware/adware.

the answer is YES. I am proof of it. I have an imac (last generation, but still aluminum and i watch blu rays.

But I bought a portable slim slot loading blu ray drive and I use bootcamp/windows to watch it. Incidentally, i bought my blu ray drive before christmas, and then i got a ps3 for christmas, so now i'm looking to sell my blu ray drive.

there is a nice piece of FREE software from either cyberlink or Corel or both that will look at your pc or mac's hardware and tell you if it meets the requirements.

based on a test that a friend of mine ran with my drive. He has the latest mac mini (integrated graphics!) with 4gb of ram (3Gb is usable) and he was able to watch it (although there were some jagged parts during some movies, but smooth during other movies)

If a mac mini can do that, with integrated intel integrated graphics, a macbook pro can definitely do it.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
OS X can't play back BD movies because of HDCP anyway, so even if you HAVE a Blu-ray player, you can't do it. Ever.

You won't be buying a Mac if you want Blu-ray movies.

I'm sorry but you are partially wrong.

HDCP refers to OUTPUTING thru the mini-display port. If you are just watching it on your macbook, that's ok.

Also, there is software on the PC side that will kill the HDCP. I know this from first hand experience.

I used a macbook pro to play HD-DVD using xbox 360's HD-DVD player. I was able to watch HD-DVD on my macbook screen. Using an DVI to HDMI adapter, I was able to watch the HD-DVD on a 40" flat panel LCD Samsung TV.

Clarification - the MBP was a 17" that was 1 revision ago. Since i no longer have the MBP, i can't test my slim blu-ray, but killing the HDCP was easily accomplished. and all of this was accomplished on macs, but on the Bootcamp side.

watching HD discs (hd-dvd or blu ray) will ONLY be accomplished thru bootcamp and external drives. Killing HDCP is only necessary if you want to output to an external display.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
Ripping is very unnecessary, in my opinion. It adds another extra step. The time it takes to rip the blu-ray, you'll be 1/2 way thru the movie already.

AnyDVD is the software to kill the HDCP.

Also, to appreciate the special features, you would need the whole disc, not just the main movie file.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Ripping is very unnecessary, in my opinion.

It absolutely necessary if you want to watch it in OS X.

It adds another extra step. The time it takes to rip the blu-ray, you'll be 1/2 way thru the movie already.

But once ripped, it's available on demand. No need to go dig it out of a drawer, wait for the BD player to fire up and insert. Minimal time, but time nonetheless.

Also, to appreciate the special features, you would need the whole disc, not just the main movie file.

You get those additional features as well when you rip. Nothing to hold you back on that.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
And that's what I'm saying. HDCP pertains to ANY monitor connected, ANY graphics card inside, and ANY OS playing the disk.

The first two pass in a Mac without Windows, but the last one must happen through Windows.

what do you mean by the "first two pass in a mac without windows, but the last one must happen thru windows?"

EDIT - sorry Tallest Skil, i reread what you wrote and we agree that OS X can not handle blu ray.

My point was that a Macbook Pro machine can handle it, hardware wise.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
what do you mean by the "first two pass in a mac without windows, but the last one must happen thru windows?"

HDCP killing is ONLY accomplished on the PC side. but the drivers are PC only. But the point is that a Macbook Pro Machine can handle blu ray and hd-dvd. Without Bootcamp, it is impossible.

In most modern Macs, the display and the graphics card are HDCP compliant. The OS isn't. You need these three (four with an external display, but that thing is irrelevant, mainly) things for HD video playback, and since OS X isn't compliant, you can't play HD DVDs or BDs in OS X.

Cave Man

macrumors 604

He's saying OS X is not HDCP-compliant.

But the point is that a Macbook Pro Machine can handle blu ray and hd-dvd. Without Bootcamp, it is impossible.

Any current Mac can play Blu-ray video, provided it's been stripped of DHCP and encryption. Even a Mac Mini can. ;)

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
ok. we're all in agreement, then. I was just viewing it from a different perspective.

I don't have the storage space for multiple rips of blu ray (i have the first season of Sarah Connor Chronicles on Blu ray) but I feel the blu ray with the best picture quality so far is "Dark Knight" You can see Joker's makeup so clearly and the stringy hair is streaked with green. When Joker licks his lips, it sends shivers down my spine.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
IMG_5918.jpg

Just to show it can be done:

1. You have to install boot camp and Windows
2. Blu-ray player (I have the LG BE06 bluray burner)
3. Install AnyDVD (to remove HDCP otherwise it wont play on the external monitor I have here)
4. PowerDVD

Thats it! ;)

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
nice setup. how much are blank blu ray media? i've only recently started buying dual layer dvd because the prices were very high before.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
Sorry - but what's the point of blu-ray if your watching the video on 15 inch screen? It's not going to make ANY difference.

Maybe on a 40-50 inch screen - but a laptop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.