Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:33 PM   #26
mattmack
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofslim
i heard it cheats and moves pieces when you're not looking.
LOL that must be why I lose all the time, but I can beat solitare

All you need to get you through life is honesty and integrity,....... if you can fake those you've got it made. Groucho Marx
mattmack is offline   0
Old Mar 6, 2004, 01:59 PM   #27
stoid
macrumors 68040

I've never beat it,

but I know a guy who knows a guy who's seen someone win...
stoid is offline   0
Old Mar 8, 2004, 08:59 AM   #28
plasticparadox
macrumors 6502

Hmm.. I don't seem to have Chess on my iBook... running 10.3

Is this normal?
plasticparadox is offline   0
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:10 AM   #29
dukemeiser
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to dukemeiser Send a message via Yahoo to dukemeiser
After a while, I want to throw my iBook. So I had to stop playing. They should add internet play to Chess.app Apple wouldn't have to host the servers, they could simply allow anyone to host a server. Then we could all play with real people from the application.
dukemeiser is offline   0
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:24 AM   #30
thegivenone
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to thegivenone
Dont feel Bad.......

Dont feel bad cause im 52 to 0 against the PowerBook...........Maybe it's just the 1.25Ghz G4 pumpin in there!
thegivenone is offline   0
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:24 AM   #31
MongoTheGeek
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to MongoTheGeek Send a message via Yahoo to MongoTheGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemeiser
After a while, I want to throw my iBook. So I had to stop playing. They should add internet play to Chess.app Apple wouldn't have to host the servers, they could simply allow anyone to host a server. Then we could all play with real people from the application.
Or use rendevouz.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:34 AM   #32
Mantat
macrumors 6502a

We should be able to start a game via iChat AV. It would be a good reason to add people to your list!

As for beating the game, I asked my friend to try it. He isnt the best chess player I know but he managed to beat every computer he has ever play againts. His strategy is simple: he keep playing different style until he understand how the computer make decision and then starts to play for real exploiting the computer value chain.

Its funny because the reason he is a good chess player vs a computer make him a very bad player againts human since we are more able to adapt our game style than a computer.

Anyways, more news about this a in few weeks...
Old Mar 8, 2004, 04:35 PM   #33
jennyjennydz
Banned

I cheated

I have only been able to beat it by using the undo command. It causes occasional strange things - Like the piece I just took is still gone, but I get to move again. Only way I've ever beat it.

I took over a dozen great games of history and played them against the computer move for move. Computer matched the opponent right down the line in all of them. In all where the historical result for the side I was playing was a win, the computers diverged after 10-15+ moves and the game ended as a draw. In all where the historical result was a loss or draw, the cpu followed the moves exactly. 0 wins. Only draws and losses.

Easy difficulty my ass. Great way to encourage people to learn/play the game -- rub their faces in the mud every time.
jennyjennydz is offline   0
Old Mar 8, 2004, 05:27 PM   #34
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
Never beaten it with honor.

Although I have beaten Sigma Chess in introductory Level 8. This version of Chess is a bit easier, and it has several playing difficulties and options, with a lot more in-game detail than Apple's Chess. In the long-run, if you think you suck at Chess, then playing Sigma Chess can give you 5 more IQ points than Apple's hard version of Chess. (That's what I think.) Besides, you're not going to learn anything from Chess if your games are too hard or too easy. (I forget the source of that info.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjennydz
I have only been able to beat it by using the undo command. It causes occasional strange things - Like the piece I just took is still gone, but I get to move again. Only way I've ever beat it.
You mean like this?
King Cobra is offline   0
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:50 PM   #35
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Cobra

You mean like this?
hahaha... thats classy...

You can crash 10.2 chess waaayy too easy... I did it in the other thread about chess... several times... lol
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:20 PM   #36
macdong
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to macdong Send a message via Yahoo to macdong
ha, that's exactly what we did in AI classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares
I suggest a Chess tournament: let's get our Macs playing against each other and see who has the brightess Mac

Kasparov disqualified on the grounds that he will beat the crap out of every Mac.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:02 AM   #37
warcraftmaster
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to warcraftmaster Send a message via Yahoo to warcraftmaster
i beat it. i show you guys when i got time. i will make a new thread.do you guys want lots of pics?
warcraftmaster is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:11 AM   #38
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegivenone
Dont feel bad cause im 52 to 0 against the PowerBook...........Maybe it's just the 1.25Ghz G4 pumpin in there!
Makes no difference! The engine in the app does all the work. The chess app for my Palm 515 is just as sharp.
Les Kern is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:16 AM   #39
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Cobra

Although I have beaten Sigma Chess in introductory Level 8. This version of Chess is a bit easier, and it has several playing difficulties and options, with a lot more in-game detail than Apple's Chess. In the long-run, if you think you suck at Chess, then playing Sigma Chess can give you 5 more IQ points than Apple's hard version of Chess. (That's what I think.) Besides, you're not going to learn anything from Chess if your games are too hard or too easy. (I forget the source of that info.)
I always like Chessmaster when I was hot into it. It had a LOT of the classic matches from the 1800's to Fischer and Spasky. (Fischers 1958 or 1959 match was by far the most important in the chess world... and the weirdest. Get the move list)
I mostly agree about "too hard/easy", but I also like my old saying: "Never play chess against someone you know you can beat."
Les Kern is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:19 AM   #40
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticparadox
Hmm.. I don't seem to have Chess on my iBook... running 10.3

Is this normal?
Go to server:
Login as guest.
Les Kern is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2004, 03:16 PM   #41
Mord
macrumors G4

yhea i can beat it only about 1/10 times.

I have to fess up though when i was 14 i challenged my maths teacher to a match ad said i was doing my homwork on my ibook at the same time sneaky me was useing chess and puting her moves in and doing what the computer did
Mord is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2004, 04:14 PM   #42
nuclearwinter
macrumors regular

I will never win!

I once played an entire game of chess against the computer asking it for a hint on the next move. I did exactly what it told me to do... AND I STILL LOST! I have friends that are absolutely amazing at chess and they can't beat it. One of my friends beats it on a regular basis, yet he has the mind of uber-genius, so that doesn't count.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:44 PM   #43
singspiel
macrumors newbie

I did beat it once, by asking hints all the time,before I move and moving the piece that was suggested to me.

I played the game only twice, first time I lost and then second time I did the above trick and actually won.
singspiel is offline   0
Old Mar 12, 2004, 08:08 PM   #44
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
Phew! Glad I'm not the only one who can't beat it - I was starting to feel stupid for a while and doubting my chess-playing abilities! I don't mind a challenge, but what is the point of even playing (and how can you have fun) when the computer will always beat you even on the easiest setting? Kinda pointless in my opinion...
Old Mar 13, 2004, 02:55 PM   #45
joeb1kenobi
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to joeb1kenobi
I've also found that even if you copy say the first few moves the computer always does against a human i nearly always lose, how is it that the computer can beat me but me trying to be the computer can't beat anyone
joeb1kenobi is offline   0
Old Mar 14, 2004, 01:10 PM   #46
marrlin
macrumors newbie

After about 100 losses I finally beat the program last night. Yes it was on the fastest setting, not the strongest, but I was still quite in shock after winning, (it wasn't even close actually).
I have been using a windows program called chessmentor to improve. An excellent program, www.chess.com.
Anyone have any idea what the approximate rating of the program is?
marrlin is offline   0
Old Mar 14, 2004, 08:58 PM   #47
4notherguy
macrumors newbie

I beat the included chess game on my g4 laptop once.... but it was because the program had a glitch. I was hitting the undo move , then redoing over and over and something weird happened. It was like the computer no longer knew what it's pieces were doing and made no attempt to stop me from taking them. its moves seemed random.
4notherguy is offline   0
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:22 PM   #48
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Well...

I playied Apple Chess vs. The Hardes level of Sigma Chess...

apple chess won...

I saw it coming too... I was freaking out...
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:50 PM   #49
aldersonarts
macrumors newbie

The Chess 2.0 Cheats

Hi,

I Googled about the Mac Chess game cheating and found this forum. The reason I searched is because I was playing suicide chess where you try to lose all of your pieces and if your pawn gets to the other end of the board it is supposed to be promoted to a King. In a previous game the computer got a pawn to my end and was promoted to a King. When my pawn got to the computer side it promoted it to a Queen. I was only a couple of moves from winning for the first time!
It states right in the directions about if a pawn gets to the other end of the board the players have the option of promoting the piece to a King--not a Queen!
I wish that I was a programmer because the sourcecode can be downloaded by looking at the About Chess option. Now that I know it cheats I'm curious as to why it was programmed like that.
aldersonarts is offline   0
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:01 PM   #50
Mord
macrumors G4

just compile it in xcode or whatever it was written in
Mord is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games