Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dairyman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
got my alum macbook the day of release i have been using it show much that they keys are just starting to get shiny and i HATE it I am trying to keep it looking prisitine. I just bought an iskin keyboard cover for it and it really hinders my typing performance.

so what I was thnking was I could replace all the keys that show wear anyone know if this is easy tto do or cost effective I was looking on ebay and it seems like the going rate was $6 a keep which seemed pretty steep?

any other ideas????

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Deal with it? As much as it may bother you, it's common wear. Every keyboard has this problem because of the material.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I have a solution... buy the entire keyboard replacement part. Let me find an auction on eBay real quick for you. You can take off the keys on both the MacBook and the keyboard replacement part. And then switch them. Take off one at a time, and don't mix up the keys... Take a high res picture of your MacBook's keyboard before you start taking them off.

Here's the auction. If you want a black one, just search for MacBook black keyboard.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Buff them down using the wipe that came with the computer. I do that maybe every couple weeks, no real shine on my keys yet *fingers crossed*

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just clean the keyboard once in while and it won't be shiny.

And replacing the keyboard may cost you a lot of money.

michaelaus

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
I've had my alu macbook for less than 2 weeks and I'm also having this problem.. on my space bar! I will most likely just buy a replacement space bar when I need it, but do they simply pop in and out?

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
Could the OP post a picture of his keyboard. I just want to see how bad this 'shiny' effect is. I mean, if the keys are actually degrading this soon, then he needs to take it to Apple.

Dairyman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I will take a pic as soon as I get my camera.

to me this is a pretty big issue i just spent close to $2000 on this computer. I upgraded from my MBP which had NO ISSUES whatsoever I have been using that computer for 2 years every single day and it still looks BRAND new no signs of use.

I have been trying to keep this computer as mint as possible because I really like it and when I look at the keyboard and it is already showing signs of wear I can only imagine how bad it will look in a year from now!

it is very similar to the problem that the black macbooks have

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I will take a pic as soon as I get my camera.

to me this is a pretty big issue i just spent close to $2000 on this computer. I upgraded from my MBP which had NO ISSUES whatsoever I have been using that computer for 2 years every single day and it still looks BRAND new no signs of use.

I have been trying to keep this computer as mint as possible because I really like it and when I look at the keyboard and it is already showing signs of wear I can only imagine how bad it will look in a year from now!

it is very similar to the problem that the black macbooks have

Wow... relax. It's normal wear. Check your MBP carefully again, and I can guarantee you will have shiny keys. It may not be as noticeable because it's a SILVER keyboard as opposed to a black one, but it will still be there.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
ahha what? i dunno why, but it seems I am alone on this one, I love the used shinny look in keyboards, makes me feel like I am using something i Did spend on... even if it's just surfing instead of doing real work lol... anyways good luck finding them keys fro a good price...

ankitsid

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
well yeah im sure u could get it replaced
but i dont understand why you would want to do that
cuz the new one you get will do the same thing with use..

so your spending money to fix somthing that will sooner or later will be the exact same
if it was like a tire or somthing that renders its use when smoothed out over time..then i understand..
but a keyboard?

tensix

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
Ohio
I wipe my keys on down once a week with %70 rubbing alcohol. They shinyness is just due to the oils in our skin. The alcohol will make them look good as new.

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
After 2 months of intensive usage my keys do not show any sign of wear or "shinyness"..
I think you should take it to the Apple store. Make an appointment with a genius.

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Why not just use it to death until it is totally worn out in a year or two then replace it then?

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
The AluBook has been out for what less than 3 months? The paint on the keyboard should not wear not this fast even if you are like rubbing it 24/7. My Logitech G15 keyboard got shiny after 6 months and Logitech considered it a defect.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The AluBook has been out for what less than 3 months? The paint on the keyboard should not wear not this fast even if you are like rubbing it 24/7. My Logitech G15 keyboard got shiny after 6 months and Logitech considered it a defect.

Shiny from oil != paint wearing off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.