Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Takeurtime

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Here's what I did, and I don't expect anyone to try this.

- added a second 1500mah battery on TOP of the original.
- had to take the phone completely apart till I reached the battery.
- took of the battery out, cut the back of the phone where the battery sat.
- put the battery back, which was held by the power contats (for now).
- put m-board back as well as everything else.
- mounted and soldered the 2nd battery to the oem from the back opened hole.
- bought a SLIM plastic case, cut the back so the second battery will go through.
-added some leather like material to cover the hole so battery won't be exposed.
- polished the leather and phone, charged the iPhone to 100 percent.
- voided warranty!

End result, yesterday I did the following to test battery life.

- bought a Sony BT adaptor (which now I CAN use, had the incase slider before using that port!)- streamed flycast with wifi to the BT headset.
- browsed the web reading about the palm pre, watched YouTube videos, played games, did some emailing, watched 25 minutes of eagle eye, downloaded my paid 20 apps(many heavy MBites), and just kept doing things....

After FIVE hours of what I consider HEAVY use NON STOP, the meter showed 65 percent! Btw, my iPhone is jail broken, that's how I got the percentage.

Today, battery life got better after a second full charge from over night. iPhone is no longer jb'd so seems to be getting better battery life 7-10:45 of heavy use and battery meter just moved a TINY bit.

Best mod I have done to a phone. Did this to my bb bold as well. That thing lasts like forever with the small screen. I will post pics of the iPhone tomorrow incase your interest in seeing it. Btw, I know people will say I should not have done this to the iPhone with piggy back batteries. But I have done this many times with absolutely no problems at all. The iPhone feels like I'm holding a regular iPhone but with brut battery juice. Just wanted to share.

jbode

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Wow, this sounds amazing (I hate having to charge batteries)

Just wondering did you mod the 3g or original?

Takeurtime

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Thanks. I moded the 3g. If it had been the 2g can you imagine the battery life?! I will post pics tomorrow. Btw, I bought a sold 3 iPhones because it hated the battery life. But I like the iPhone so I bought one again. But this time I also purchased the incase slider but it was BULKY. So I took the plunge and did the mod. No regrets and I am loving the phone like no other. If apple opens a2dp that would be awsome. Now I'm ready for HEAVY HEAVY use.

Takeurtime

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Oh it happened,PowerFullMac

Sorry about the quality of the pics, had to use a phone camera with bad lighting. Just keep in mind that the pics dont make it look like the real thing. It looks really nice, I'm waiting for some leather pieces that have a lizard pattern. That should make it look unique and close to a "factory" look wrapped up to the plastic casing. Btw, if you look closely, between the pleather and the plastic there is like a "river" from top to bottom. I dremeled a cut between the pleather and plastic. Picture does not show it how it really looks. I do want to figure out a better design in combining leather and plastic. I mean I love the way it is but I like to try to do better.

And one more with a closer view of the 2 batteries. Sorry I did not take pictures step by step as I did this. But I'm sure you get the idea of what I did here. The 2 batteries make using the iphone a joy, no worries at ALL about battery life. I have yet to kill the batterries to 0 percent.

Attachments

• i1.jpg
    i1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 239
  • i2.jpg
    i2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 191
  • i3.jpg
    i3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 216
  • i4.jpg
    i4.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 345
  • i5.jpg
    i5.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 554
  • i6.jpg
    i6.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 550

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Cool!

Did you have to do any software mods here to get the iPhone to work with the two batteries?

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
wow! I wouldn't do it but I'd love to have more than 3hrs 30 mins - 4hrs of usage time from my iPhone. I know I use to get about 6 when it was new but the battery has started to degrade.
I've got a first gen iPhone that I bought back in March 08.

Well done btw!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It seems like it would be a lot less of a hassle to just carry one of those external battery packs (RichardSolo, Kensington, Griffin, et.al.). Or even two or three for even better battery life.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Do you not have any heat concerns - adding a second battery suffocates the mboard more + added usage = recipe for overheating, no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.