Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badhorsie777

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Hey all,

I have a 2.16 macbook w/3 gigs of ram (previous gen) and am just getting into netflix... as a cheap solution (til a new mini comes out) what cables do I need to hook this up? My tv is a trinitron (sony) crt, so no digital ins... only composite, s-video, and component. Please point me to the cheapest solution that'll get the video from here to there. I have the audio taken care of with adaptor cables.

Thanks a ton!
-Matt

trojanman2011

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007
You need two elements here, the video adapter and the an audio cable.

I believe Apple used to manufacture a mini-DVI to S-Video adapter, but it's no longer available on their site. They do however still carry the mini-DVI to Video adapter, which will give you the same yellow RCA port used to connect an older game console or standard def. DVD player.

You can find it here

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9319G/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

Then you need a 3.5mm male to dual RCA adapter. This looks like a headphone plug on one end (to your macbook) and the red and white DVD-player style audio cables (for your TV) on the other end. You can get one of these for under $10 at Radioshack. You can pick one up at any Wal-Mart or Target marketed as an iPod to Stereo cable, but that wil run you about $20.

If you can wait a few days to get it delivered from an online order, you can get it for $0.66 here http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2.

Alternately, you can get this 3.5mm to dual RCA female plug, then just use a standard composite cable to run the audio from this plug and the video from the apple adapter all through one cable. Lee cords = good.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10401&cs_id=1040107&p_id=2120&seq=1&format=2

Hope that helps.

sharynfeller

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
Connecting Mac to TV for Netflix

Hi there
I am not very technically sound but just read this thread and this is may be a solution to my problem. Can I connect a desktop Mac to my TV (pioneer flat screen) to stream Netflix? It seems that all other possibilities are flawed...the Roku doesn't have recent movies, I just bought a blueray player more compatible with my TV that isn't wireless. How do you access the Netflix once it's connected?

Thanks!

mmkkrk

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Good reference

Thanks for the reference. I found out about connecting a laptop to TV for Netflix recently, but didn't remember the exact equipment I would need. Also, thanks for the audio cable reference. I'm always leery of cheap sites like this because of bad experiences in the past. Now I check them out at bbb.com and monoprice.com checked out. Thanks again.

bridgeville

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
Connect Macbook Pro to tv watch Netflix

I bought an SVGA MONITOR CABLE AND AND A MINI STEREO AUDIO CABLE SO I CAN WATCH NETFLIX STREAMING FROM MY MACBOOK PRO TO TV it;s not working can someone help me please

rnelan7

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Boise
I connect mine using MiniDP to HDMI connector from Monoprice. I would highly recommend getting any cables you need from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.