Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:50 AM   #1
kelvinq
macrumors newbie

Larger Fonts on iMac

Hi,

I just purchased a 24" iMac. This is my first Apple machine.

How do I make the text fonts look bigger while still retaining the 1920x1200 resolution?

Thanks for helping make my switching curve gentler.

KQ
kelvinq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:02 AM   #2
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Quite a few apps have minimum font size settings, and quite a few do Command-Plus/Minus to zoom and reduce the screen size in the window.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 05:15 AM   #3
kelvinq
macrumors newbie

Thanks Sun Baked. I'm trying that now but I'm also looking for an function that allows me to enlarge all fonts within in the screen - the menu bar text, the icon text and the text within the application too.
kelvinq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:04 AM   #4
sk8mash
macrumors 6502a

I had this problem when I first got my 24" iMac. Dont worry, stick with it and you will get used to it...
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:14 AM   #5
krimz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinq View Post
Thanks Sun Baked. I'm trying that now but I'm also looking for an function that allows me to enlarge all fonts within in the screen - the menu bar text, the icon text and the text within the application too.
Apparently you can't do just that. It's one-size-fits-all for OS X, which is odd because it's such an ovious accessibility issue.
krimz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Apocrathia
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Apocrathia
your best bet is going to be to just drop the resolution a notch.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:23 PM   #7
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimz View Post
Apparently you can't do just that. It's one-size-fits-all for OS X, which is odd because it's such an ovious accessibility issue.
That's the problem, while you can increase the font sizes and icon sizes in most everything else on the machine and finder.

Thong darn menu bars, menus, and such, still have that small font size.

You'd think it would be an obvious part of the Universal Access system preference panel. Hey, hard to see person, lets make it easier by going to a size 16-18 font size.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:53 PM   #8
cherry su
macrumors 65816

well if you have quartz debug installed (from dev tools), you can do resolution independence and increase all the fonts

see screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	244
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	152578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	138
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	152579  
cherry su is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Shastasong
macrumors newbie

Reduce resolution

For eyes that have been around for more than a half century, smaller fonts are not an option. Easy solution...lower the resolution. Try... System Preferences...Displays...1344x756. Keep the Brightness high.
Shastasong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 07:03 AM   #10
George Knighton
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to George Knighton
This issue arises all the time, and I'm wondering if anybody has a solution to this Large Fonts issue, yet?

What older people are after is an equivalent to the Microsoft Windows "Large Fonts" setting, whereby all fonts including menu bars and Finder labels are automatically increased by a certain percentage, while retaining the optimum resolution.

2560x1440 is my optimum resolution. To get the text to default to what'd be a perfect size, I'd have to set the resolution to 1600x900.

There's no point in owning an excellent high resolution monitor if we have to fuzz up the fonts in order to be able to see what we are doing.

This is an obvious, long term accessibility issue and I'm at a loss to understand why Apple, an otherwise extremely customer oriented company, have not introduced an easy way for us to do this as the operating system has progressed through the various versions.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac