Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
Windows 7 has been awesome so far, but there are still the occasional driver issues. What I'm having trouble with now is firewire.

I used to use HFS Explorer to access my external (HFS formatted) hard drive but it no longer shows up in HFS Explorer. Windows doesn't even make the "device connected" sound when I turn it on (yes I'm running HFS Explorer in admin mode/Vista compatibility). Pretty sure it's a firewire driver issue, but I have no clue who makes the firewire for my early 08 MBP.

Anyone else experiencing this?

noriyori

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
I'm not able to get HFS Explorer to work with my Windows 7 install on my mini. I got Transmac to work but there's no native browsing (ie: through win-explorer) so I can't access my firewire drive to get to my itunes library. Oh and macdrive won't work with win 7. I don't have any other firewire devices to test. But the device manager DOES see the drive, it just can't read the HFS volume.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
I doubt the problem is with HFS Explorer. I'm using Win7 and have used HFS Explorer just fine, so the drivers seem to be the culprit to me as well. (I'm just going to the OSX partition, no external drives.)

noriyori

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
hmmm, I got a Java error from HFS Explorer telling me to install the 5.X framework. I did that and then got some sort of execution error. Did you have to install the Java framework to get HFS Explorer to work or did it just work for you?

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
hmmm, I got a Java error from HFS Explorer telling me to install the 5.X framework. I did that and then got some sort of execution error. Did you have to install the Java framework to get HFS Explorer to work or did it just work for you?

Yes, install the Java runtime. When I start up HFSexplorer, I too get an error message.

The program can't start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

However, if I press OK, the program works fine. So... ignore the error message.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Windows 7 comes with three (3) Firewire drivers, one of which is called "(legacy)". Try this one.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California

Yes yes, was running the latest version of Java.

I got HFS Explorer to not only work, but find the Mac partition as well. It saw all the drives on my Mac, it just didn't see the external Firewire HDD.

Windows 7 comes with three (3) Firewire drivers, one of which is called "(legacy)". Try this one.

Damn I would, but I've since gone back to Vista 64 when first making this thread. If someone else can confirm it works I'll give it (Windows 7) another shot.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I don't have a Firewire HD around atm to try it myself. The legacy driver is needed to get Firewire Audio interfaces running properly. So someone else has to try this. Since there are three Firewire drivers coming with W7 it might also be the third one that could help.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
I don't have a Firewire HD around atm to try it myself. The legacy driver is needed to get Firewire Audio interfaces running properly. So someone else has to try this. Since there are three Firewire drivers coming with W7 it might also be the third one that could help.

Supposedly, based on this thread, your method works.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California

OK, so I bit the bullet and reinstalled Windows 7 because I love it and I wanted to give this a try. And it does indeed work. :)

johnwillsey

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2009
Firewire Drives Bootcamp

Well, I understand your frustration.. here is my experience...

System Macpro 1.1 (original 2.66ghz)

running OSX, all 3 external firewire drives work fine
Bootcamp XP, all 3 external firewire drives work fine
Bootcamp Win 7, only 1 external firewire drive works.
It is a segate freeagent (SATA internal Drive I believe)
The others are clubmac external cases with IDE drives on the oxford chipset (best most reliable chipset at the time)

I have tried loading my drivers from my xp system and no luck...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.