Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Hey guys, I had a quick question about getting some kind of ID3 tag editor for use on my mac. A bunch of my music collection I have ripped losses to .AIFF on my MBP. When I put the songs into iTunes, I can edit the tags no problem. However when I read the tag via some third party software, there is no tag info.

MP3's on the other hand work fine, iTunes can tag them and other software can read it. I tries using Musorg, which can read and edit the tags. However it won't let me edit the .AIFF files, I tried MP3 and .Ogg and those worked fine.

What can I do? The reason I ask is that I put the songs onto my modded iPod Mini, which has a 16GB CF card and runs Rockbox. With Rockbox it doesn't recognize the tags, since there aren't any... I assume.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
That's because there are no ID3 tags for AIFF files. There is no designated space for them in the header of the file.

I would recommend converting them to MP3 using iTunes to play on your MP3-players, then deleting the lossy copies after transfer (unless you need them further).

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
I actually want to keep the lossless format... audiophile, what can I say. Plus I have storage space to use :D. So there is nothing you can associate .AIFF files with, some form of a tag. I remember reading of "wiki", yes wiki that .aiff support tagging.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Why don't you use Apple Lossless? It supports tagging and artwork, and you could save a lot of space compared to AIFF, which can take up almost twice as much room.

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Why don't you use Apple Lossless? It supports tagging and artwork, and you could save a lot of space compared to AIFF, which can take up almost twice as much room.

I want to use a more universal format than apple's, even though I use an apple computer. IIRC, Rockbox software on my mini doesn't support it anyway...

nick-nb

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
I use Soundgrinder from monkey-tools.com
tag editor inclusive coverart.
works then in iTunes on Mac and Windows PC
I have all my music in this way on may NAS

zudet

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
AIFF is an extensible format, and can include ID3 tag. iTunes actually embed ID3 tag in AIFF, but there is little support in reading/editing it by other software/players. Some software that support ID3 tag in AIFF can be found here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.