Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jan 12, 2009, 02:11 AM   #1
fab5freddy
macrumors 65816

Cocoa vs Carbon ?

I am rather new to programming and want to know
what the difference between Cocoa and Carbon are ?

thanks !
fab5freddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 02:14 AM   #2
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

carbon isn't 64bit and is going to be killed off sooner or later. Stick with cocoa.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:39 AM   #3
neonblue2
macrumors 6502a

Carbon ---> C, C++
Cocoa ---> Objective-C
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:09 AM   #4
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLuffJimmy View Post
carbon isn't 64bit and is going to be killed off sooner or later. Stick with cocoa.
Yes if you're new to Mac OS X programming, skip over Carbon, at least the UI stuff. The file/alias/etc manager still applies and can be used in 64-bit but to do a UI use Cocoa.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:21 PM   #5
hhas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLuffJimmy View Post
carbon isn't 64bit and is going to be killed off sooner or later.
First bit is wrong; second is speculation. Carbon's GUI APIs are 32-bit only, as are the Carbon QuickTime APIs; avoid these for new development. Most other major Carbon APIs are present on 64-bit OS X. Quite a few provide functionality that is absent or inferior in Cocoa.

For GUI work use Cocoa. For other other things you'll likely want to stay on Cocoa where practical, but don't be put off using officially supported Carbon APIs where you need them.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:01 PM   #6
semicolons
macrumors newbie

Avoid carbon until you need it, as Cocoa is the future. It has been recommended by Apple, for the past few years at least, that you use Cocoa for new development. Unfortunately, there are still some things you can't do in Cocoa, for which you need Carbon, but don't bother with Carbon until you need it.
semicolons is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:43 PM   #7
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Also, Cocoa is very mature at this point, but there are still things (for example) like checking to see if a key is down that don't work 100% in Cocoa. Normally you'd do this by checking [[NSApp currentEvent] modifierFlags] but NSApplication doesn't begin handling events until at a certain point, so if this in your app's awakeFromNib/init or similar methods, it won't work and you have to stick with GetCurrentEventKeyModifiers()... I have yet to find a non-Carbon workaround (since this won't let you compile 64-bit AFAIK).

Edit: I guess I didn't search hard enough last time. Here (see comments) is how you do it without Carbon using CGEventCreate() and CGEventGetFlags().

Anyways, my point is Cocoa still isn't complete yet. You may still need to use some Carbon APIs or other C-based ones that don't have an Objective-C wrapper yet.

Last edited by kainjow; Jan 12, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 04:37 AM   #8
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Carbon (not the GUI stuff) in general is Cocoa in plain C. You still get the retain/release methods and memory management in Carbon has many similarities with Cocoa. So, if you begin with Cocoa, when the time comes and you need Carbon, it won't be difficult to adapt to it.
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Krevnik
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhas View Post
First bit is wrong; second is speculation. Carbon's GUI APIs are 32-bit only, as are the Carbon QuickTime APIs; avoid these for new development. Most other major Carbon APIs are present on 64-bit OS X. Quite a few provide functionality that is absent or inferior in Cocoa.

For GUI work use Cocoa. For other other things you'll likely want to stay on Cocoa where practical, but don't be put off using officially supported Carbon APIs where you need them.
Most of the other major Carbon APIs are present mostly because they don't predate OS X, and they are shared with Cocoa in some way (or were expected to be used by developers in both environments).

The key thing to remember is: if the API predates 10.0, or is GUI-related, it's gone. That really covers most of the important stuff required to do an application in pure C anyways.

Handbrake is probably a good example of how you can do a mixed C/Obj-C application: put your low-level code into a static library, and link it straight into an Obj-C GUI front-end. You get the portability of the core feature set, while staying on Apple's good side.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:52 PM   #10
hhas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Carbon (not the GUI stuff) in general is Cocoa in plain C. You still get the retain/release methods and memory management in Carbon has many similarities with Cocoa.
This is true for newer Carbon APIs that appeared post-OS9, e.g. Core Foundation. Pre-OSX APIs use a different memory management scheme (which isn't reference-counted, unfortunately).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krevnik View Post
The key thing to remember is: if the API predates 10.0, or is GUI-related, it's gone.
Still not quite correct; if you really want to know what's on its way out, look in the header files or on Apple's developer site [1]. e.g. Two major Carbon frameworks that I [for my sins] do a lot of work with - Apple Event Manager and Open Scripting Architecture - both predate OS X and have been updated over the years to ensure OSX and 64-bit compatibility. And I'd be pretty peeved if they went away any time soon given that their Cocoa wrappers are inferior and/or not a good fit with non-ObjC-based implementations.

I imagine folk like Microsoft and Adobe who have massive investments in C++ codebases would also have an absolute fit if any more Carbon APIs go away - I don't imagine they were overly pleased about Apple's last-minute reversal on the 64-bit Carbon GUI APIs. Apple would lose significant marketshare if those vendors decided enough was enough.

--
[1] The ones I can recall offhand are all Carbon GUI, QT, QD APIs. FSSpecs and APIs that use them are also defunct; modern alternatives are provided as needed.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 03:14 PM   #11
Catfish_Man
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Catfish_Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhas View Post
FSSpecs and APIs that use them are also defunct
I wonder if this fact will ever stop making me happy. I doubt it
Catfish_Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:37 PM   #12
iAppleseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab5freddy View Post
I am rather new to programming and want to know
what the difference between Cocoa and Carbon are ?

thanks !
What the heck is Carbon and Cocoa? Oh, I know what Cocoa is. It's chocolate. But what does it have to do with Macs or Programming?
iAppleseed is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:49 PM   #13
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I realize this topic was just revived by a troll, but I'd like to ask a quick question regarding Carbon...

Should I avoid it like the plague, or is it still necessary to use it ever?

I'm just learning to use a 3D graphics engine (Ogre 3D) which appears to work much better with Carbon than Cocoa (cocoa will end up having artifacting for some reason where Carbon won't,) but ultimately I'd like the game I'm making with it to be sold on the Mac App Store.

So... Figure out how to make it work with Cocoa, or should I just accept the easy solution of using Carbon?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:57 PM   #14
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I realize this topic was just revived by a troll, but I'd like to ask a quick question regarding Carbon...

I'm just learning to use a 3D graphics engine (Ogre 3D) which appears to work much better with Carbon than Cocoa (cocoa will end up having artifacting for some reason where Carbon won't,) but ultimately I'd like the game I'm making with it to be sold on the Mac App Store.

So... Figure out how to make it work with Cocoa, or should I just accept the easy solution of using Carbon?
Carbon is deprecated - don't think Mountain Lion will run it?
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 02:38 AM   #15
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:

Carbon is not the "easy solution", because you will have to throw all your Carbon code out and replace it with Cocoa quite soon. Carbon is 32 bit only. It is not actively developed, which means known bugs will not be fixed. It is deprecated. I was told that you can't update your development machine to Mountain Lion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
Carbon is deprecated - don't think Mountain Lion will run it?
It will still be able to run Carbon apps, but you can't develop Carbon apps on Mountain Lion. Which seems a very good indication that in 10.9 Carbon may be completely gone.

Last edited by gnasher729; May 1, 2012 at 07:57 AM.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 09:45 AM   #16
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Carbon is not the "easy solution", because you will have to throw all your Carbon code out and replace it with Cocoa quite soon. Carbon is 32 bit only. It is not actively developed, which means known bugs will not be fixed. It is deprecated. I was told that you can't update your development machine to Mountain Lion.
By "easy solution", I just meant the one that required no effort right now on my part. But, message received, stop using carbon immediately. Transition period is over; now isn't the time to be holding onto it.

I guess I need to figure out why the engine has artifacting under cocoa and fix that... doesn't sound like a fun task... not even one I know where to begin with fixing.
Old May 1, 2012, 09:59 AM   #17
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
I guess I need to figure out why the engine has artifacting under cocoa and fix that... doesn't sound like a fun task... not even one I know where to begin with fixing.
Does Ogre 3D have a home page? Maybe there's a newer version.

If there's not a newer version, is there a bug-report web page? Have you filed a bug there?
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:16 AM   #18
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Does Ogre 3D have a home page? Maybe there's a newer version.

If there's not a newer version, is there a bug-report web page? Have you filed a bug there?
http://www.ogre3d.org/

perhaps? It looks like it is meant to be a cross-platform API layer.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming