Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 13, 2009, 04:19 AM   #1
Sgt.Pepper
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
What does Cyber Duck do?

I'm a little confused about what Cyber Duck does, when I read the blurb (for-lack-of-a-better-word) of the program it has anagrams that I don't know the meaning of, so the details of the programs function are lost on me.
Could someone give a an explanation for idiots?
__________________
17" Macbook Pro, 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 200GB 7200rpm HD, High Resolution Matte Display;

How can Hip-Hop be dead if Wu-Tang is forever?
Sgt.Pepper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 04:22 AM   #2
Theophany
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NW London.
Send a message via AIM to Theophany Send a message via MSN to Theophany
FTP. For the transfer of files between two machines. Most commonly used for webservers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol
__________________
And if California slides into the ocean
Like the mystics and statistics say it will
I predict this motel will be standing until I pay my bill
Theophany is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:13 PM   #3
numbersyx
macrumors 65816
 
numbersyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
It's a File Transfer Protocol client to assist in transferring files between two machines or computers and networks.

Used to be a must have in the early days of the internet but has died down in use as the internet progressed because of all the other ways that file transfer has developed. Cyberduck was very useful for iWeb owners who had their own sites (not .Mac) as iWeb did not have its own FTP client built in. Cyberduck became the FTP client of choice for those users who needed it. Now iWeb 09 appears to have added this feature, it remains to be seen how Cyberduck will develop.
numbersyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Cromulent
macrumors 603
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Land of Hope and Glory
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersyx View Post
It's a File Transfer Protocol client to assist in transferring files between two machines or computers and networks.

Used to be a must have in the early days of the internet but has died down in use as the internet progressed because of all the other ways that file transfer has developed. Cyberduck was very useful for iWeb owners who had their own sites (not .Mac) as iWeb did not have its own FTP client built in. Cyberduck became the FTP client of choice for those users who needed it. Now iWeb 09 appears to have added this feature, it remains to be seen how Cyberduck will develop.
Most web site owners don't use iWeb, so Cyberduck will continue to be an essential application.
__________________
Neural Advance - Mac OS X, UNIX and Windows Development
Last.fm Profile | Extreme Metal Reviews
MP 4x 2.66Ghz Xeons / 6GB RAM / 640GB + 500GB + 750GB + 1TB HDDs / ATI Radeon 4870 / iPad 3
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:40 AM   #5
numbersyx
macrumors 65816
 
numbersyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Most web site owners don't use iWeb, so Cyberduck will continue to be an essential application.
It would be interesting to know how many do use Cyberduck. It thought most of the web design programmes had their own built in client.
numbersyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:48 AM   #6
JNB
macrumors 604
 
JNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In a Hell predominately of my own making
Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
I use it for my site. AFAIK, most web development apps do not have a built-in client.
__________________

JNB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 07:00 AM   #7
Menge
macrumors 6502a
 
Menge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brazil
I use CyberDuck. I dislike all-in-one editors, for some reason.

Xcode for coding and CyberDuck for deploying
Menge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:15 AM   #8
Cromulent
macrumors 603
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Land of Hope and Glory
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersyx View Post
It would be interesting to know how many do use Cyberduck. It thought most of the web design programmes had their own built in client.
Most built in clients are rubbish. If you are concerned about security you need an FTP client that supports SFTP or FTPS. Anything else just sends your passwords in clear text across the net that anyone could read.
__________________
Neural Advance - Mac OS X, UNIX and Windows Development
Last.fm Profile | Extreme Metal Reviews
MP 4x 2.66Ghz Xeons / 6GB RAM / 640GB + 500GB + 750GB + 1TB HDDs / ATI Radeon 4870 / iPad 3
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 02:57 AM   #9
jprincesa
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
How do you know what the server, username, and path is??? Dont know how to configure it
__________________
 Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 120 HD 2GB  Iphone 3g White  Ipod shuffle Red  Time capsule 500 gb
jprincesa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 03:23 AM   #10
miles01110
macrumors 604
 
miles01110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menge View Post
Xcode for coding and CyberDuck for deploying
You use XCode for HTML?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprincesa View Post
How do you know what the server, username, and path is??? Dont know how to configure it
Your hosting provider should have information about this in their FAQ.
__________________
Got a problem? Check here first.
miles01110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duck Dry Foot Basketball Ed iPad Apps 0 Mar 26, 2014 08:44 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC