Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sgt.Pepper

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
Australia
I'm a little confused about what Cyber Duck does, when I read the blurb (for-lack-of-a-better-word) of the program it has anagrams that I don't know the meaning of, so the details of the programs function are lost on me.
Could someone give a an explanation for idiots?

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
It's a File Transfer Protocol client to assist in transferring files between two machines or computers and networks.

Used to be a must have in the early days of the internet but has died down in use as the internet progressed because of all the other ways that file transfer has developed. Cyberduck was very useful for iWeb owners who had their own sites (not .Mac) as iWeb did not have its own FTP client built in. Cyberduck became the FTP client of choice for those users who needed it. Now iWeb 09 appears to have added this feature, it remains to be seen how Cyberduck will develop.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
It's a File Transfer Protocol client to assist in transferring files between two machines or computers and networks.

Used to be a must have in the early days of the internet but has died down in use as the internet progressed because of all the other ways that file transfer has developed. Cyberduck was very useful for iWeb owners who had their own sites (not .Mac) as iWeb did not have its own FTP client built in. Cyberduck became the FTP client of choice for those users who needed it. Now iWeb 09 appears to have added this feature, it remains to be seen how Cyberduck will develop.

Most web site owners don't use iWeb, so Cyberduck will continue to be an essential application.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Most web site owners don't use iWeb, so Cyberduck will continue to be an essential application.

It would be interesting to know how many do use Cyberduck. It thought most of the web design programmes had their own built in client.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I use CyberDuck. I dislike all-in-one editors, for some reason.

Xcode for coding and CyberDuck for deploying :)

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
It would be interesting to know how many do use Cyberduck. It thought most of the web design programmes had their own built in client.

Most built in clients are rubbish. If you are concerned about security you need an FTP client that supports SFTP or FTPS. Anything else just sends your passwords in clear text across the net that anyone could read.

jprincesa

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
How do you know what the server, username, and path is??? Dont know how to configure it :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.