Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CSLEWIS-FAN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Hello all -

I have a macbook pro 15" with 120 GB of storage. I only have about 21 GB of storage left and was wondering what I can safely delete to open up more space. I noticed that when I open the HD I see two devices listed. 1.) being my computer and the 2.) being the Macintosh HD. When I open my computer, I see the Macintosh HD again. So it appears as if there are two HD's or atleast double the items on the HD.

Another thing I noticed is that under PLACES there is a little house icon with my name and when I open that I see everything on my HD (Desktop, Applications, Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures etc ...). But listed underneath the little house icon with my name on it are all those things again (Desktop, Applications, Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures.) Is it just me or are there duplicates of all those things on my computer. Since I am the only one who uses my computer, can't I just delete the little house icon and not have any problems. It says that it takes approximately 51GB of space. One more tidbit of info. I have approximately 30GB tided up in my Itunes app and approximately 16GB tided up my iphoto app. No imovie, idvd or garageband projects taking up space. So after all my apps, some documents that I have and a few downloads, it seems that I should only have about 60GB or so tied up. And that is a high estimate.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cslewis-Fan.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
You have no duplication of hard disks or places, what you see in Finder are just different views into your hard disk, and are normal. I suggest you download a disk usage program, such as GrandPerspective or DiskInventoryX to see what is using up your space. You might also try emptying your Trash, it's amazing how much it can fill up after a while.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Yes, your files are only present in one instance. Don't forget that applications can take up a fair bit of space as well. A default install of OS X, including iWork, consumes about 15 GB of space if memory serves.

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
Yea and the application support in your system library is usually huge. like 4 gb just for garageband plug-ins. I deleted them from my computers with the smaller hd's. Also, adobe app support is huge. I think mine is near 10 gigs

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Google: Monolingual

It will remove a few GB of extra languages you don't need. Worked a treat for me.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
For heaven's sake, don't just go rampaging through your library deleting anything that looks big. Deselect stuff you don't need at the time of install, rather than trying to hack it away after the fact. That's a recipe for very, very bad things.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Use a Program like WhatSize to determine what's taking up space on your drive. You can use Monoligual to remove unecessary language files, and also look at removing files related to Garageband or iDVD if you do not need them. Also, you probably have about 2 Gb of printer drivers which you probbaly don't need all of. Programs like DiskInventoryX, Delocalizer and AppZapper can also assist in cleaning up your machine.

:cool:

CSLEWIS-FAN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Thanks everyone

Just looked at the replies to my post and wanted to thank everyone for the input. I will definitely try what was suggested.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
Xslimmer can only slim up to a certain amount of GBs you can use XsTrimmer Lite (it works better than the normal version) and is free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.