Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask all of you experts on here for some advice. I recently got a macbook pro unibody and I ordered the mini display port to dvi adapter with it. At home, I have a Dell 2007FPW to which I would liketo connect my MBP using the above-mentioned adapter. So far no problems. At work however, we still have an older projector which supports VGA input only. Honestly, I dont want to spend another 30 bucks so that I could get my MBP to work on the projector so I was wondering if this option might work. Our office has a dvi to vga adapter that was used with the older gen MBPs. I was wondering if I could still output my MBP to the projector using the mini display port to DVI connector plugged into the DVI-to-VGA adapter (and then use a regular vga cable to connect to the projector). Would this work or am I better of just spending the money on the VGA adapter?

Besides, purchasing a DVI to VGA adapter would cost less then 10 bucks as opposed to 30 for the mini display port to vga adapter.

Thanks in advance!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Nope - you have to buy two separate adapters. I fell into the same boat when I tried using my existing DVI to VGA adapter.

Read about it here.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
I believe the Mini-DP to Dual-link DVI adapter, however, can be then linked up with DVI to VGA for such an outcome.

areusche

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I believe the Mini-DP to Dual-link DVI adapter, however, can be then linked up with DVI to VGA for such an outcome.

I'd be surprised if this is true. The Dual-DVI probably has the same digital-only limitation that the DVI one has.

I understand your frustration. He's a website I buy from with a converter cable for 8$.

http://www.cablesforless.com/p-420-high-quality-6-foot-dvi-a-male-to-vga-hd15-male-cable.aspx

It's 6 ft long, which I find to be too long.

He's a super small one that I believe would help you out the best!

http://www.cablesforless.com/p-436-dvi-i-female-to-vga-male-adapter.aspx

Sells for 6.30$ Hope this helps! Sorry I didn't include shipping.

You can't use these with the Apple Mini-DP to DVI adapter because it is digital only.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I understand your frustration. He's a website I buy from with a converter cable for 8$.

http://www.cablesforless.com/p-420-high-quality-6-foot-dvi-a-male-to-vga-hd15-male-cable.aspx

It's 6 ft long, which I find to be too long.

He's a super small one that I believe would help you out the best!

http://www.cablesforless.com/p-436-dvi-i-female-to-vga-male-adapter.aspx

Sells for 6.30$ Hope this helps! Sorry I didn't include shipping.

Unfortunately, neither of these will help.

Apple's Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter does *NOT* pass the VGA signal through. This means you cannot just use a DVI-to-VGA adapter, at all.

The underlying problem is that DisplayPort doesn't contain enough pins to pass through both DVI and VGA at the same time. You *NEED* a dedicated adapter for each type. The DisplayPort senses which adapter you have, and passes through that signal, and only that signal.

Same is true for the Dual-Link DVI adapter. DisplayPort doesn't contain enough pins for Dual-Link DVI, so this takes an active signal converter. (Hence the high price.) But again, Apple makes no effort to pass through a VGA signal. (Which would be silly, since it would make the DL-DVI adapter even *MORE* expensive, since then it would require a VGA DAC as well.)

Sorry, but when converting from DisplayPort to anything, you need separate adapters. This is not an Apple limitation, this is not a Mini DisplayPort limitation, this is a DisplayPort-base-spec limitation.

areusche

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Unfortunately, neither of these will help.

Apple's Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter does *NOT* pass the VGA signal through. This means you cannot just use a DVI-to-VGA adapter, at all.

The underlying problem is that DisplayPort doesn't contain enough pins to pass through both DVI and VGA at the same time. You *NEED* a dedicated adapter for each type. The DisplayPort senses which adapter you have, and passes through that signal, and only that signal.

Same is true for the Dual-Link DVI adapter. DisplayPort doesn't contain enough pins for Dual-Link DVI, so this takes an active signal converter. (Hence the high price.) But again, Apple makes no effort to pass through a VGA signal. (Which would be silly, since it would make the DL-DVI adapter even *MORE* expensive, since then it would require a VGA DAC as well.)

Sorry, but when converting from DisplayPort to anything, you need separate adapters. This is not an Apple limitation, this is not a Mini DisplayPort limitation, this is a DisplayPort-base-spec limitation.

Ahh my bad sorry I was misinformed!

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
MD to DVI

MD to VGA

You could buy both for the price of the one from Apple - available tomorrow.

Since you already bought one, at least you can get the VGA one at a cheaper price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.