Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
:confused: :(

I recently acquired an older white iBook. It's a 500 Mhz PowerPC G3 with 64Megs of RAM plus an additional 256 of added RAM with a standard CD drive. I have a copy of OS X panther, and even borrowed a copy of OS 10.2 or whatever pre-panther release there was. None of them will install!! I tried taking out the RAM addition, copying the install file to the hard drive, changing the startup disk, and updating the firmware. Nothing works. the standard procedure is to put in the CD and click on install. Upon starting up it goes to the gray screen and reads the disk like the install is warming up. Then the spinning circle stalls out. When I copied the file to the Hard drive and selected it as the startup destination, it refused to acknowledge it! I have 9 gigs of free space, and the hardware check came back fine. WHAT CAN I DO??? I heard a rumor somewhere that certain older iBooks have a glitch or trouble with OSX. Please, please, please if anybody knows what I can do- let me know. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.